Can you compose in Ionic Greek?

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
hmederos22
Textkit Neophyte

Can you compose in Ionic Greek?

Post by hmederos22 »

Hello everyone,

This might sound too weird, but I have thought of composing a little book in Ancient Greek, but my idea would be to write in Ionic Greek, but I do not know if that is possible. (My referent is Herodotus)

Not because we do not have texts in that dialect, but because there are no dictionaries about that specific variety of the Greek language.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot!

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Re: Can you compose in Ionic Greek?

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

Testing it just now, that dictionary in that digital form suffers from the problem that it displays the line of the reference, rather than the section. In other words, after clicking the reference in the dictionary, one needs to scroll down if the expected word is not in the selection.

@hmederos22 I admire your drive, and wish you all the best with this.
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

Besides Herodotus, another good source of Ionian vocabulary from the fifth century are the various treatises of the Hippocratic Corpus. The Budé editions (at least the ones I've worked with) have excellent Indices Verborum, and there is also a comprehensive Index Hippocraticusto the entire corpus from Kühn & Fleischer and later editors.

Randy Gibbons

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Any example of modern composition in Ionic?

jcabraham
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jcabraham »

bedwere wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm Any example of modern composition in Ionic?
John Beazley, of Greek vases fame, won the Gaisford prize in the 1930s for "Herodotus at the Zoo." It's in print, or at least on the internet. I can send you a copy if you can't find it.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Here is a scan of Herodotus at the Zoo. Several other compositions in Ionic are listed as winners of the Gaisford Prize.

Callisper
Textkit Member

Post by Callisper »

There are also plenty of later imitations of Herodotean Ionic: off the top of my head - Arrian Indica, Lucian De Dea Syria, De Astrologia, parts of Quomodo Historia Conscribenda Sit and Vitarum Auctio, and the Life of Homer by 'Pseudo-Herodotus'. If anyone has any to add it might start becoming worthwhile to form a list.

I would counsel the student of Herodotean Greek composition to pay even closer attention to these works than to Hippocrates and Aretaeus.

Thanks for the finds, jcabraham & bedwere.