Lyric Poetry in Attic?

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
TheinenGH
Textkit Neophyte

Lyric Poetry in Attic?

Post by TheinenGH »

Hello everyone, :D
I'm still a beginner in greek, but I'm already eager reserching the literature.
About ancient greek we know that each genre was often associated with one kind of dialect, right?
Attic is generally more associated with greek drama. But here I have 2 questions:
1. There isn't really any lyric poetry in attic? At least I have not found any, and the guides about composing verse I have seen were about drama too...
2. It's valid to write lyric poetry in attic greek? I ask this seeing how the ancient greeks were "serious" about the dialect thing..,
3. Do you have any composition in attic to show here?
(I hope this is the right place to post this :oops: )

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Lyric Poetry in Attic?

Post by mwh »

As you realize, there are generic proprieties, dialectal and other. The lyric parts of Attic drama are composed in a dialectally much watered-down version of “Doric” lyric poetry (Stesichorus, Bacchylides, etc.). Their vocabulary is significantly more elevated than the non-lyric parts and is specifically marked as lyric by use of “Doric” (and/or Aeolic) alpha where Attic has eta, on the model of the dithyrambs and other choral lyric performed at Athens and elsewhere (most of it lost).

TheinenGH
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Lyric Poetry in Attic?

Post by TheinenGH »

mwh wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:53 am As you realize, there are generic proprieties, dialectal and other. The lyric parts of Attic drama are composed in a dialectally much watered-down version of “Doric” lyric poetry (Stesichorus, Bacchylides, etc.). Their vocabulary is significantly more elevated than the non-lyric parts and is specifically marked as lyric by use of “Doric” (and/or Aeolic) alpha where Attic has eta, on the model of the dithyrambs and other choral lyric performed at Athens and elsewhere (most of it lost).
Thanks for your reply.
It's really interesting thoses uses on dialect.
But besides of this attic with doric colouring used for choral poetry, there isn't other lyric poetry in "Attic" (or at least "attic" in most part) ?
And for the matter interest in composing poetry, which others dialects we're able to learn? Considering how much we've lost of some dialects wich caused to be impossible to even have a proper grammar on some cases...

:D