Handy Grammar Table

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Handy Grammar Table

Post by jamesbath »

Here's a very accessible Latin Grammar Table online for those who might not know. It covers declensions, conjugations, irregulars, pronouns, adjectives, etc:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/lati ... ubjunctive

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Handy Grammar Table

Post by thesaurus »

jamesbath wrote:Here's a very accessible Latin Grammar Table online for those who might not know. It covers declensions, conjugations, irregulars, pronouns, adjectives, etc:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/lati ... ubjunctive
Very handy, thank you. But this seems to be medieval Latin, no? (cf. "carte," "hec" etc.)
Quam utile! gratias tibi. Mediaevalis autem latina esse videtur, non? ("carte" pro "cartae" et "hec" pro "haec" ponuntur).
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

thesaurus wrote: Very handy, thank you. But this seems to be medieval Latin, no? (cf. "carte," "hec" etc.)
Quam utile! gratias tibi. Mediaevalis autem latina esse videtur, non? ("carte" pro "cartae" et "hec" pro "haec" ponuntur).
Yes. It seems to be.

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

This is an interesting table. I've never read Mediaeval Latin and I've never seen a table of it before. It didn't change as much from the Latin of Roman times as I might have expected.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Jefferson Cicero wrote:This is an interesting table. I've never read Mediaeval Latin and I've never seen a table of it before. It didn't change as much from the Latin of Roman times as I might have expected.
That was my impression too.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Jefferson Cicero wrote:This is an interesting table. I've never read Mediaeval Latin and I've never seen a table of it before. It didn't change as much from the Latin of Roman times as I might have expected.
The morphology certainly didn't change much; as you can see, it is mostly phonetic simplification ("ae"-->"e"). The syntax and vocabulary are what makes medieval Latin a unique beast.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

Ah, yes, those words that change meaning from Classical to Mediaeval, and of course word substitutions. Those are always tricky and sometimes exasperating. I suppose the word order is quite close to that of Romance languages? I can see why it would be a beast for anyone used to the classical.

One of these days I'll have to try my hand at it, if I can ever get a good handle on classical Latin first.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'