Year, Month, and Date Notations in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Year, Month, and Date Notations in Latin

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

How would a Roman have written a date, say, when writing a letter, assuming that they did date their letters?

How would they have cited a date in the text of a book, such as, say, 'on the tenth of May, the 9th legion marched to the frontier'?

Did they commonly use numerals for either the day or the month, or did they write it all out? What about the year?

For that matter, from what starting point did they count their years?

While I'm at it, when mentioning the hour, I assume that they would have written something like, 'in (or during) the eighth hour'?
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Year, Month, and Date Notations in Latin

Post by adrianus »

I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Thank you, Adrianus. As interesting as it is, the complexity of Roman date reconing makes me sorry I even asked. I'm going to give it a shot anyway, since it seems to me that at times it would be quite important to get your dates right when reading Latin texts, such as when a sequence of events is being narrated.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

Jefferson Cicero wrote:As interesting as it is, the complexity of Roman date reconing makes me sorry I even asked.
Welcome to the world of Latin... :lol:

I think it's not the date reckoning that's complex, so much as the conversion... I could probably make a quick tool for converting between the Ancient Roman and modern ways of writing dates if you'd like. :)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Furrykef, such a tool would be wonderful, and would come in handy. How difficult would it be to make?

I guess determining the date of the month in the Roman calendar would be easier if one kept in mind the concept of reading the hands of a clock: 'seven minutes 'till two, fifteen till seven, half past the hour', etc.
Last edited by Jefferson Cicero on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Here is a video ("Roman Calendar Page from Mundus") of such a tool in my Mundus program, illustrating also English and Latin text-to-speech.
En taeniola talis instrumenti in programmate meo Mundus nomine, quod anglicè latinéque processum notarum in sermones vertendarum demonstrat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMpSTCI2g-c
or
http://www.youtube.com/user/adrianmallon?feature=mhum
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Adrianus, that's a wonderful programme. I never expected to find anything like this, nor for that matter, anything like the elingua suite.

drdominee
Textkit Neophyte

Post by drdominee »

Is this program available online? I found a references to it in a journal, but not the program itself.
Vale,
Raymond A. Blacketer, PhD

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Id non jam prodidi, o drdominee, quod Id non jam perfeci. Minùs efficax est locutio synthetica systematis interni Windows nomine. Id benè autem cum systemate Mac operat. Forsit solo Mac systemati intero proditurum sit.

I haven't yet published it, drdominee, because I didn't finish it. It works nicely on a Mac but I couldn't get the synthetic voice working as I needed on a PC. Maybe I should release in just on Mac.