Where can I get an electronic/pdf version of Forcellini?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
tico
Textkit Member

Where can I get an electronic/pdf version of Forcellini?

Post by tico »

Does anybody know where could I find and electronic or pdf version of Forcellini's Lexicon totius latinitatis?

TIA

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

There is a new Brepolis database called "Database of Latin Dictionaries". They have the entire Du Cange. I do't think I ever saw a digitized Forcellini. Let us know if you find it.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Deses wrote:There is a new Brepolis database called "Database of Latin Dictionaries". They have the entire Du Cange.
Good news indeed, because there are some volumes missing on the Gallica website !

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Skylax wrote:
Deses wrote:There is a new Brepolis database called "Database of Latin Dictionaries". They have the entire Du Cange.
Good news indeed, because there are some volumes missing on the Gallica website !
You should stop by the Brepolis office and ask them if they would be kind enough to share the scans with us!
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Good idea, but they would not do it for free, I guess... :(

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Skylax wrote:Good idea, but they would not do it for free, I guess... :(
Willing to try a box of chocalates? :)

I saw dead links to those now missing volumes on some site. It means that at one point they were there, but were later removed from Gallica. I once downloaded Maigne d'Arnis' dictionary based on Du Cange. Now it is gone. Maybe someone somewhere has those Du Cange volumes...

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Re: Where can I get an electronic/pdf version of Forcellini?

Post by Craig_Thomas »

.pdfs of the 1965 reprint are available at Documenta Catholica Omnia along with a lot else, including Du Cange's Glossarium.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

http://www.archive.org/details/totiusla ... 00forcgoog

[This is a very old thread! // Veterrimum hoc filum!]
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Post by Craig_Thomas »

Ita intellego, sed perantiquissimus est hic liber!

With the completion of the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae still forty years away, the value of a complete Latin-Latin dictionary like Forcellini's Totius Latinitas Lexicon has surely not diminished since 2006, and the usual sites where one goes to find .pdfs of such books aren't helpful in this case: Gallica has only Tomus I, Google Books has copies but the last 350 pages of Tomus III are unusable, and the copy which archive.org claims to have turns out to be Smith's A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology.

EDIT: A two-volume edition, with the Italian translated into English, is available at archive.org: Volume 1, Volume 2.