Pope Benedict XVI resigns in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Pope Benedict XVI resigns in Latin

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I was quite astounded when I heard earlier today that the current pope of the Catholic church, Benedict XVI, had announced his intention to resign by the end of February. I was even more surprised when I learned that he had done so in Latin. I am certainly not a big fan of his ideological positions, but I still find it quite endearing that someone still takes Latin seriously enough to use it for such a momentous occasion in his life.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

procrastinator
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Pope Benedict XVI resigns in Latin

Post by procrastinator »

Anyone interested in reading the Pope's resignation speech in Latin can find it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resignatio ... nedict_XVI

ukh
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ukh »

procrastinator wrote:Anyone interested in reading the Pope's resignation speech in Latin can find it here:
Wikipedia edits move fast. The original Latin is currently removed. The original edit carries it as well as references to the SSPX web site with Latin original and English translation.

procrastinator
Textkit Neophyte

Post by procrastinator »

Wikipedia edits move fast. The original Latin is currently removed.
Yeah, you're right. Here's one of the Wikipedia versions that contains the Latin original: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =537852169

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Verba Sancti Patris, quae dolore magno me affecerunt, hic audiuntur.