Teacher looking for advice

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Robertus Sum
Textkit Neophyte

Teacher looking for advice

Post by Robertus Sum »

Salvete omnes,

I am a new Latin high-school teacher, and I am facing a couple of issues with which I would greatly appreciate some advice. My students are expected to take and pass the AP exam in their 3rd year of Latin, and to then take and pass the IB exam in their 4th year. This would not be so daunting if I didn't also have students that were only placed in Latin because they couldn't get into another Foreign language or they are only in a foreign language class because it is required that they have two years of a foreign language. As such I have a class filled with students that need to gain as much proficiency as quickly as possible, and students that could care less that they are in a Latin class, and love to ask "why do I have to take Latin, it's dead?"

I am currently using Wheelock's with this class, but it is only working for the students that are willing to do the work. While I would like to believe that any student can use Wheelock's and be successful, my experience does not hold this to be true. Last year I taught Middleschoolers using Cambridge, but had many similar problems.

I have personally started reading through various Latin programs, and really find that I favor Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, but am concerned that while this book series may get the buy in from the less motivated students, it may take to long to prepare the students that must be ready for AP Latin by their 3rd year.

Any advice from teachers or students that have used Lingua Latina would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly interested in what kind of pacing has worked for others, and whether or not anyone has any further suggestions to aid my students.

Thank you,
Robert

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Teacher looking for advice

Post by Patruus »

You might perhaps wish to consider joining the Yahoo group "Latin - Best Practices" where Latin teachers discuss teaching techniques, resources, etc.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lati ... tices/info

dlb
Textkit Member

Re: Teacher looking for advice

Post by dlb »

Robertus Sum wrote:Salvete omnes,
I am currently using Wheelock's with this class, but it is only working for the students that are willing to do the work.
... and students that could care less that they are in a Latin class,
Not being a teacher but having worked with kids for 21+ years I can tell you that only those that are willing to do the work will benefit from the effort.
I also have found that you teach to the high end and hope the rest will try to emulate those that are profiting.
Good Luck.
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.