memorizing principal parts

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pin130
Textkit Member

memorizing principal parts

Post by pin130 »

I've been through Wheelocks and am now toward the end of Lingua Latina (chap. 29). Once I've got down
the vocabulary of a new chapter, I can read the the story without much problem. In other words, I generally can recognize a verb, however I've never memorized the principal parts and cannot recite them
if given the 1st person singular or the present active infinitive. But is it necessary to memorize the
principal parts? I find the task overwhelming. Can one pick them up just by reading enough? Is it enough,
perhaps, just to know the present active infinitive and therefore to which conjugation it belongs?
If it's necessary to know all the parts, any tips on forming and memorizing?

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: memorizing principal parts

Post by Hylander »

is it necessary to memorize the
principal parts? I find the task overwhelming. Can one pick them up just by reading enough?
If you can recognize them at sight, then that should be enough. But make sure you actually can recognize them.

In Latin they're not too difficult to memorize because they fall into a relatively small number of patterns. For the third conjugation, there are a few phonological rules that are helpful. Look at Allen & Greenough sections 209 ff. (preferably hard copy, but here's a link to the electronic version):

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0001
Bill Walderman

pin130
Textkit Member

Post by pin130 »

I was away for a few days. Thanks for your advice.

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

Try writing down the principal parts on one side of a 3x5 card and the predominate definition on the other side. Review these flash cards when you have time and you will find they will come to you rather naturally.
As you read further you will see all of the parts used and their conjugations.
Hope this helps.
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.