Please translate my story to Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
latinstudent44
Textkit Neophyte

Please translate my story to Latin

Post by latinstudent44 »

My father Marcus and I went to see the Gladiators fight in the colosseum today. We arrived in the morning and bought food outside of the colosseum. We were lead to our seats by a slave. The emperor signaled the start of the games and the people cheered. The Morning fights were animal fights. First was a lion against an elephant. The lion was able to win by biting the elephants neck until it died. The second fight was a bear against a tiger. The bear was much stronger and defeated the lion quickly. The Last fight was a Man against a wolf. The man had only a net to fight the wolf and the net was long. The wolf almost bit the man three times but failed. After some time the man was able to capture the wolf and win. Then the Gladiators came out and started to salute the emperor. Though My father said it was time to leave.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Please translate my story to Latin

Post by bedwere »

You are supposed to translate it into Latin. We may correct your translation.

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

bedwere wrote:You are supposed to translate it into Latin. We may correct your translation.
Welfare for the mind?
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Post by Nesrad »

I was tempted to give a humoristic translation involving colourful descriptions of the Latin teacher's mother.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I'm likewise tempted when people request translations for tattoos. :D

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Post by Nesrad »

Here's one from Wheelock involving under garments:
Semper ubi sub ubi
Get it?

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

My father Marcus and I went to see the Gladiators fight in the colosseum today. We arrived in the morning and bought food outside of the colosseum. We were lead to our seats by a slave. The emperor signaled the start of the games and the people cheered. The Morning fights were animal fights. First was a lion against an elephant. The lion was able to win by biting the elephants neck until it died. The second fight was a bear against a tiger. The bear was much stronger and defeated the lion quickly. The Last fight was a Man against a wolf. The man had only a net to fight the wolf and the net was long. The wolf almost bit the man three times but failed. After some time the man was able to capture the wolf and win. Then the Gladiators came out and started to salute the emperor. Though My father said it was time to leave.

Meus pater et ego imus spectare pugnant gladiatores in coliseo hodie. Imus mane et emimus cibum foris. Ducebamur a servo ad sellas nostri. Imperator dixit esse tempus ludis coepisse et populi gavisi sunt. Primae pugnae erant pugnae animalis. Pugna prima erat leo contra elephantum. Leo poterat erat victor rumpentis collum elephanti dehinc mortuus est. Pugna secunda erat ursus contra tigrem. Ursus ita fortior erat ut victor esset celeriter. Pugna ultima erat homo contra lupum. Homo rem unam, everriculum, quod longum erat. Lupus oppugnavit hominem ingruit paene ter sed poterat non. Tandem homo poterat lupum capere victorque esse atque coepit salutare imperatorem. Dehinc meus pater dixit esse tempus discedere vobis.

Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Banana tree »

ThatLanguageGuy wrote:Meus(1) pater et ego imus spectare pugnant gladiatores(2) in coliseo(3) hodie(4). Imus(5) mane et emimus cibum foris(6). Ducebamur a servo ad sellas nostri. Imperator dixit esse tempus ludis coepisse(7) et populi gavisi sunt. Primae pugnae erant pugnae animalis(8). Pugna prima erat leo contra elephantum.(9) Leo poterat erat victor rumpentis collum elephanti dehinc mortuus est.(10) Pugna secunda erat ursus contra tigrem. Ursus ita fortior erat ut victor esset celeriter. Pugna ultima erat homo contra lupum. Homo rem unam(11), everriculum(12), quod longum erat. Lupus oppugnavit hominem ingruit paene ter sed poterat non.(13) Tandem(14) homo poterat lupum capere(15) victorque esse atque (16) coepit salutare imperatorem. Dehinc(17) meus pater dixit esse tempus discedere vobis.
There's a ton of very basic mistakes in your translation. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but are you sure that you're at the right level to do these exercises? At least you gave it a try now, so I'll do my best to help you.

(1) Latin don't put out possessive pronouns in obvious cases.
(2) This is just nonsense. You should use a final ut-clause. The words you have chosen - specto and pugno - is fine, but you need to look up how specto is used in a dictionary.
(3) There is no such word as coliseum in Latin, it's called ampitheatrum Flavium.
(4) This word seems misplaced to me, should probably be the first word or right after eo.
(5) This is wrong for a different reason than the last time you wrote imus: eo means 'to go', not 'to arrive' - for that use venio.
(6) Foris is an adverb meaning 'outside'. There is a fitting preposition you should use to translate "outside of Colosseum".
(7) This means something like "The emperor said to the games that time had started". 'Give sign' is signum do, and I believe you should use a gerundive construction along with that.
(8) Latin would never write pugnae ... pugnae like that. Animalis isn't conjugated in the right way. In addition, primus doesn't mean 'morning' and animalis - correct me if I'm wrong - just denotes something living (human or animal), so I think it's best to rephrase the whole sentence and instead translate this English sentence "Animals (use ferus) fought in the morning".
(9) Not sure if this is grammatically wrong or not, but it seems weird to me for some reason - please let me know if I'm mistaking. Better would be to use the adverb primo and then just leo contra elephantum (the verb fought being understood).
(10) This is complete nonsense. You can't have three predicates in one clause. Possum takes an infinitive. 'By biting' I would prefer to express with a gerund. And rumpo doesn't mean bite, mordeo does.
(11) Use tantum, solum or something like that. And you missed the part "to fight the wolf"! You should render that with some sort of expression for purpose, like an ut-clause with subjunctive or even more neater some preposition (ad/causa/gratia) with the gerund/gerundive.
(12) Never even seen that word before, but it's wrong. Use plaga or something like that. Also, the main clause is missing a verb.
(13) Here you are again using two predicates (oppugnavit and ingruit) in the main clause without any conjunction! Besides, none of those verbs mean bite, use mordeo.
(14) Tandem means 'at last', 'finally'. It's better to use an adverb like postea 'afterwards'.
(15) Good! Here you used possum with the infinitive! Cf. comment 10.
(16) Here you are missing some words, I assume you made some mistake while copying your text. It should be a new sentence after esse with gladiator (in nom. pl.) as subject; and you got it right with using the construction imperatorem salutare coepio, but remember to conjugate the verb in accordance to the subject!
(17) Dehinc doesn't mean 'though', it means 'from this place forth', 'hence' (but can also be used of time in the sense of 'then'). I think you should go with sed or a similiar word here.

Have to be afk for the rest of the day, but I'll go through the rest tomorrow or so. GL!

EDIT: Now I've gone through your whole translation, GL!
Last edited by Banana tree on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Banana tree »

Now I have gone through the whole text. I might have missed something or explained something wrong - in that case I hope the more experienced users here can point that out; but I tried to help you as much as I could without giving you any answers. My native tongue is not English and I apologize if I used the wrong terminology somewhere. My advice to you, before doing more exercises like this, is to read a lot (I mean a lot!) and really think about how the Latin is put together, copy it and make slight alterations to it (instead of presence use perfect or future, instead of 3rd person singular use 3rd person plural, make the object subject and vice versa etc); and try to write simpler sentences by yourself, sentences like "A slave arrived and brought a letter to his master." Also, when writing Latin you have to look up every word and how it is used in a dictionary! Another thing I noticed is that your word order is a bit weird sometimes; Latin usually follows a SIDAV-pattern, i.e. subject, indirect object, direct object, adverbial words/phrases and the verb.

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Thank you. I'm still learning Latin, but I tried my best. I didn't realize all these errors. Thanks.

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swtwentyman »

Should the erats be fuits? Not a suggested correction; I've just never been sure of the difference. Reading is easier than composition.

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

It is!!! I just tried, I'm not at a high level. Wheelock teaches grammar, not necessarily composition. I always thought because Latin was an inflected language, that composition allowed more freedoms, and didn't necessarily matter unless the meaning was there (unless it's poetry, which I have said in another thread I have no idea how to do anything with, even in English.) I tried. I'm not an expert. But because it was in the past it would be fuit. Erat is imperfect which starts in the past but continues.

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swtwentyman »

I'm not trying to pick on you, just seeing if I understood the tense. There are similarly two "to be"s in French, one passé composé and one imparfait; I had a hard time grasping the difference and just used the imperfect whenever I meant "was/were" (I did a similar if not more boneheaded generalization early in Latin). It's for my benefit; I'm not ragging on you.

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Oh, no I didn't think you were. I'm sorry if my reply sounded like that. Yeah, for me too, I didn't understand it much either mostly because my translation of the two words were the same... I wonder how hard it is for someone to learn English from a foriegner's perspective. We have a lot of words in English that sound the same and have the same defenition. I should ask a foreigner....