First time Reading Ancient Texts

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
kszd2000
Textkit Neophyte

First time Reading Ancient Texts

Post by kszd2000 »

Hello,
I am very interested in reading directly from the source (as in the Ancient Latin authors) and I was wondering if you would have any favourite suggestions? I am in Chapter 16 of Lingua Latina by Hans Ørgberg if that helps. I am looking for a specific book that has a selection of ancient books or writings or a just the title of one of the original books that still exists in whole? Perhaps an easier to translate one if possible, then I can move on from there. Though I am ok with anything you can come up with.

Thank you in advance!

-KSZD
Iēsus et via et vēritas animaque est.

Laurentius Mons
Textkit Member

Re: First time Reading Ancient Texts

Post by Laurentius Mons »

I'd suggest you finish Familia Romana first, maybe read Colloquia Personarum and Fabulae Syrae as well, and then move on to Sermones Romani. The book is a collection of excerpts from various ancient texts that Ørberg edited for students by adding marginal notes and drawings, just like in Familia Romana. There are is also an Ørberg-edition of Caesar's De Bello Gallico, which is intended for students who've finished Familia Romana.

naturalphilosopher
Textkit Neophyte

Post by naturalphilosopher »

You might like Bellum Helveticum, which is a beginner textbook that uses readings from Caesar from the fist lesson. I found it when I was also looking for an early intro to ancient authors which I could use in parallel with Lingua Latina. See the links in my thread on the topic - http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... =3&t=66580

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve,

most ancient authors are pretty tough. Graduating from Familia Romana straight to one of those is rather ambitious. Cornelius Nepos might be a starter. Whatever you do: read, read read! There is a lot of material for all levels of reading comprehension readily available at no cost online.

A small selection can be found on my homepage in the section Reading material.

Bye,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Eltonvgl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Eltonvgl »

Try to read the Vulgata, you can find it online for free, or, if you want, you can buy hardcover book. I've been reading the Vulgata and I can say to you that it's not much difficult! Sometimes I get stuck in paragraph, but the good thing is that you can see the translation of the bible online and for free (but don't this very often, because you may get some bad habits and your hability to understand the text may shrink little by little). Try to understand the text without translating first.