Haec atque alia similia cum homo insolens iactaret

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Haec atque alia similia cum homo insolens iactaret

Post by pmda »

Turnus Herdonius is giving vent to his feelings about Tarquin ending with "Cum cives Romani alii super alios trucidentur, exsulatum eant, bona amittant, quid spei melioris Latinis portendi? Si se audiant, domum omnes inde abituros!'"

All clear… and then in the next paragraph Orberg has:

Haec atque alia similia cum homo insolens iactaret, intervenit Tarquinius. Is finis orationi fuit. Aversi omnes ad Tarquinium salutandum. Qui, silentio factio, primum se purgavit quod id temporis venisset: 'iudicii causa' ait 'se moratum esse'; deinde Latinos postero die eodem convenire iussit.

I cannot figure out how the first sentence works. Tarquin has suddenly appeared. Is the first sentence something he says with intervenit meaning "interrupted"? If so then why doesn't Orberg have this in quotes when the above reported speech from Turnus he does put into quotes - something which is not done in English?

Is Tarquin dramatically interrupting Turnus' flow with "And other things similar to these for the arrogant man who has been speaking". Iactaret is imperfect subjunctive.

With regard to the rest of the paragraph: This was the end of the discussion. All turned towards Tarquin to greet him [very hard to translate this deponent in this context]. He, the group being silent, first exculpated himself [I don't know why "factio" is in nominative case - shouldn't it be in ablative - I'm taking it that silentio factio is an ablative absolute?] that he should have come in these times: "to sacrifice himself (se moratum esse) in the cause of justice" he decrees that the Latini who followed after him should gather in the same place.

truks
Textkit Member

Re: Haec atque alia similia cum homo insolens iactaret

Post by truks »

pmda wrote: I cannot figure out how the first sentence works. Tarquin has suddenly appeared. Is the first sentence something he says with intervenit meaning "interrupted"?
Here, intervenit means to arrive on the scene, i.e. to arrive while the other guy is talking trash about him. :)

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Does putting the words in this order helps?
Cum haec atque alia similia homo insolens iactaret,...

Silentio factio must be a typo for silentio facto.

'iudicii causa' ait 'se moratum esse' is a complete sentence: ait, "he says", together with an accusative with infinitive construction, se moratum esse iudicii causa. moratum esse does not mean "sacrifice", it is the perfect infinitive of moror "to delay, tarry, stay, wait, remain, linger, loiter".

About
he decrees that the Latini who followed after him should gather in the same place.
- deinde "then"
- postero die "on the next day"

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Many, many thanks to you both. Now you point them out my mistakes are glaring. Yes 'factio' was a typo and I don't know what was in my mind when I read se moratum esse.