LLPSI Cap XLV: Ceterum et...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

LLPSI Cap XLV: Ceterum et...

Post by pmda »

Having indicated that the pact between the Romans and the Latini was more beneficial to the Romans Orberg (Livy) continues:

"..ceterum et capita nominis Latini consentire cum rege videbant, et Turni supplicio terrebantur. Ita renovatum foedus, indictumque iunioribus Latinorum 'ut die certa ad lucem Ferentinae armati frequentes adessent."

.. the heads of the leaders and the rest of the Latini saw to it to agree with the king, and were terrified by the supplication of Turnus. Accordingly the agreement was renewed, and it was declared that on an appointed day a troop of armed men should be present at the (sacred) wood of Ferentina.

I'm taking it that ceterum and capita indicates the leaders and the rest of the Latini..

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: LLPSI Cap XLV: Ceterum et...

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

pmda wrote:Having indicated that the pact between the Romans and the Latini was more beneficial to the Romans Orberg (Livy) continues:

"..ceterum et capita nominis Latini consentire cum rege videbant, et Turni supplicio terrebantur. Ita renovatum foedus, indictumque iunioribus Latinorum 'ut die certa ad lucem Ferentinae armati frequentes adessent."

.. the heads of the leaders and the rest of the Latini saw to it to agree with the king, and were terrified by the supplication of Turnus. Accordingly the agreement was renewed, and it was declared that on an appointed day a troop of armed men should be present at the (sacred) wood of Ferentina.

I'm taking it that ceterum and capita indicates the leaders and the rest of the Latini..
1) Ceterum is used adverbially, "but" or "otherwise."
2) capita...consentire, indirect statement after videbant, "they saw that the heads of the Latin league were agreeing..."
3) indictumque [esse] iunioribus Latinorum, continuing the indirect statement "and it was declared to the juniors of the Latins..."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

et Turni supplicio terrebantur
I wanted to read that as "and they were terriified by the punishment of Turnus."
Hugh Lawson

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

I wanted to read that as "and they were terrified by the punishment of Turnus."
You are right.
Bill Walderman