Online: Whitaker's Words 1.97FC for Linux

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Online: Whitaker's Words 1.97FC for Linux

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I needed to reinstall Whitaker's Words on my Linux system. It took me some time because I did not find a compiled version at first. Most places only have the source code, and the suggested way of compiling the programme did not work for me.

Still, after some browsing I finally found a Linux-binary (= Link to latindiscussion.com and their thread Whitaker's Words Android app & Linux version). The link to the binary can be found in the second post from the top. This binary is version 1.97FC, which means that it includes the possibility to change the language direction (LATIN -> ENGLISH, ENGLISH -> LATIN).

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

Valete
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Re: Online: Whitaker's Words 1.97FC for Linux

Post by Nesrad »

Thanks, until now I've always used the Windows binary in Wine. I believe there is a project to refactor Whitaker's code and resume development.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Online: Whitaker's Words 1.97FC for Linux

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Hello Nesrad,

actually there are two projects:
  • Martin Keegan's project at GitHub. It dates from 2015 and was last modified in September 2017. It attempts to "carry on the maintenance of WORDS, both the dictionary and the software".
  • Open Words, also at GitHub: a Python-version of Mr. Whitaker's last version of Words "for future maintenance and improvement" (last change in November 2017).
Hopefully, these projects do carry on, especially as far as the dictionary itself is concerned, since the last offical version has incorporated the Oxford Latin Dictionary and Lewis and Short entries [only] into [letter] D." S, there is still a lot to be done.

By the way, the full documentation of Words 1.97FC makes for an interesting read, especially the sections "Guiding Philsophy" and "Method".

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.