Latin synonyms

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pin130
Textkit Member

Latin synonyms

Post by pin130 »

Both fero and veho are translated as "carry", among other meanings. I couldn't easily find a subtle (or not so subtle) difference in the dictionary. Nor did I find them listed in Doderlein's Handbook of Synonyms.
In Nutting's Primer they are both used for "carry", but I don't know why one is preferred over the other.
Or maybe there is no real difference as far as their usage for the word "carry". I wonder what is the best book for Latin synonyms?

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Latin synonyms

Post by Interaxus »

Download this:

https://archive.org/details/gradusadpar ... us/page/n7

(Gradus ad Parnassum edited by Gulielmo Pyper 1835)

and look up 'fero'.

There are plenty more of these 'gradus' to download from Internet Archive.

Vale!
Int

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Here's another one to download from Google Books:

https://books.google.se/books/about/Lat ... edir_esc=y

(Latin Synonyms, with Their Different Significations: And Examples Taken from the Best Latin Authors
by Dumesnil, 1825).

Check under 'ferre, page 251'.

Vale!
Int

pin130
Textkit Member

Post by pin130 »

Thanks Interaxus for your suggestions. The Gradus ad Parnassum I find hard to read, literally, it's tough on my eyes. Just skimming it, it seems to be totally in Latin, with no English explanations. I'm afraid my Latin isn't up to it. On the other hand, I find the Dumesnil quite useful. After my original post I came across the book and decided it would be cheaper to print it out
than to buy it ($5 vs. $20). At 600 pages it was my biggest printout yet, and sure enough my cheapo printer broke toward
the end of printing. So much for my savings!

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

pin130:

Sorry to hear about your printout tribulations. They inspired me to conduct the following experiment. I divided the file (Dumesnil's Latin Synonyms, 1825) into roughly two halves (using Acrobat Professional), uploaded Dumesnil A-H to Lulu's self-publishing site, added a cover picture (one of Mantegna's 'Caesar's Triumph' scenes); repeated the process with Dumesnil J-V (with a different Mantegna scene as cover); all of which cost me (excluding shipping) 12.36 GBP (15.79 USD). Lulu happened to be offering 20% discount - code TWENTY18 up to November 29 - at the time, luckily for me.

I selected A4 format, ensuring a comfortably large, easy-to-read letter size - which you won't get from the plethora of commercial quick-buck copies of Internet Archive files flooding the Internet nowadays (which is not to say all of these are totally useless).

I can't recommend Lulu enough to anyone who still relishes their Latin exercise/reference materials on wood ...

Ut valeas!
Int

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I use Lulu a lot. For example, I printed Conrad's Gradus (I have no problem with small prints).

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Bedwere:

Yes, Conrad is another great resource and I quite understand why you'd 'Lulu' it. But apart from a few bits of German there's no translation, so pin130 is probably better served by Dumesnil at this stage.

Also, while Conrad is a normal seek-by-word dictionary, Dumesnil is a list of selected keyword entries, often followed by entries presenting related words and collocations.

In Conrad you may search for 'fero', 'porto' and 'veho', and each will provide assorted synonyms - 'fero' has 18 (!), 'porto' 6, 'veho' 13.

In Dumesnil by contrast you'll find a heading 'ferre, portare, vehere' where the basic difference in usage between the three is described in English, alongside examples in Latin. This is followed by a few entries like 'Ferre ad populum. Referre ad populum'; 'Ferre fructum. Capere fructum', 'Ferre pedem. Effere pedem. Inferre pedem.'

This 'chunking' of information might better suit early learners' brains' neural networks, non è vero?.

(If you want to find 'portare' or 'vehere' in Dumesnil you must consult the index at the beginning of the book.)

Care Bedwere, can't you 'Lulu' your Ben Hur and Aladdin comics for us so that we can order printed copies of your masterpieces?

I personally would give anything for a version with English and Latin on facing pages à la Loeb (sorry Mr Kraschen!).

Ut valeas!
Int

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Interaxus wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:13 am

Care Bedwere, can't you 'Lulu' your Ben Hur and Aladdin comics for us so that we can order printed copies of your masterpieces?

I personally would give anything for a version with English and Latin on facing pages à la Loeb (sorry Mr Kraschen!).

Ut valeas!
Int
I don't know about the masterpieces part, but they have been available on Lulu for quite some time. Of course, people can also print them on their own from the pdf on archive.org

http://www.lulu.com/shop/bedwere/permir ... 34509.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/bedwere/benhur ... 00706.html

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Bedwere:

Stupeo. Macte!

Ut valeas!
Int

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Gratias ob tuam erga me benignitatem, Interaxe! Vale et tu!