AP Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Hocmihinomenest
Textkit Neophyte

AP Latin

Post by Hocmihinomenest »

Salvete omnes,

I began self-studying for the AP Latin exam last semester with Caesar, and I have already read a great deal of Vergil which is found on the syllabus. I have two workbooks which I use to not only test my comprehension, but also skills in recognition of figures of speech, analysis essays, grammar, literal translation, etc. Having completed the Caesar portion already, and deep into Vergil, I'm going to begin my review in a few months. What would all of you that HAVE TAKEN or TEACH the course recommend for the review? Obviously, I'll reread the Latin selections and look back at the English ones. I've also got the old AP Vergil prep book, though additional review will more than likely be necessary.

Valete,
Hocmihinomenest

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: AP Latin

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

It sounds to me as though you already have a good handle on this. In terms of review, absolutely nothing beats thorough familiarity with the text, and your review should focus on reading and rereading the Latin, followed by a good reading of the context in English. By good reading of the context I mean at least books 1-6 of Aeneid and the all of De Bello Gallico in English (except for book 7). You've visited the AP website, right? Make sure you do all the practice materials, and especially the essays, and read all the sample essays provided as well. You will also find a lot of helpful materials posted by various Latin teachers at various sites, so google here is your friend.

Are you doing this completely on your own, or do you have a teacher at your school who is prepping you? Whether or no, feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to look at any practice essays you write. If you have questions about the Latin, the helpful people here I'm sure will be glad to answer them... :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Hocmihinomenest
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hocmihinomenest »

I met a former AP Latin teacher who is helping me, though I'd appreciate someone to criticize and review my essays!

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Hocmihinomenest wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:49 pm I met a former AP Latin teacher who is helping me, though I'd appreciate someone to criticize and review my essays!
Glad to do so. Check your messages on this board -- I sent you an email address.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...