Question on comparatives & Eutropius, Breviarium historiae Romanae, Incipit.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
marcovlatinforum
Textkit Neophyte

Question on comparatives & Eutropius, Breviarium historiae Romanae, Incipit.

Post by marcovlatinforum »

Hi Textkit!

I'm finding the incipit of the first book of Eutropius' Breviarium a little problematic:

Romanum imperium, quo neque ab exordio ullum fere minus neque incrementis toto orbe amplius humana potest memoria recordari, a Romulo exordium habet, [...]

I think I need to briefly analyze the grammar of this sentence, and I would do so like below:

Romanum imperium, neque ullum [imperium] ab exordio fere minus neque [ullum] incrementis (abl. "after being grown" or something like this) amplius toto orbe (abl. "all over the world") quo (abl. indicating the second item of the comparison) (or quam quod) humana memoria potest recordari (recordor, recordari), [...]

Am I guessing right? The continuation of the book (I have just finished the XXII chapter of the first part of Ørberg's LLPSI, and I'm doing a little detour trying to tackle some simple real-word Latin) seems to me quite enjoyable, but.. I a bit confused by quo: I think it represents the second item of comparison. I'm also a bit confused by the positioning of fere: I think it should modify neque ullum, instead of minus, but I'm not sure.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Question on comparatives & Eutropius, Breviarium historiae Romanae, Incipit.

Post by mwh »

quo is “than which,” introducing the relative clause. It has to come at the beginning of the clause. Note the comparatives in each half, minus and amplius contrasting. It started small (none smaller) and got real big (none bigger), incrementally :) .
fere softens the claim, yes qualifying (neque) ullum (object of recordari) if we have to pin it down.

Eutropius will suit your purposes well I expect, as a first dip into real Latin, and a potted history of the Empire (Republic included) as a bonus. That’s how it’s traditionally been used. I’ve never read it myself. Caesar is more interesting, and better Latin.

marcovlatinforum
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Question on comparatives & Eutropius, Breviarium historiae Romanae, Incipit.

Post by marcovlatinforum »

Thank you for the answer! (Unfortunately I still find Caesar a bit difficult: I'm planning to read it after I finish Familia Romana).