Personal Latin Translation Help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
salvatorezxc
Textkit Neophyte

Personal Latin Translation Help

Post by salvatorezxc »

Greetings.

I am currently understudying Latin and is writing a sentences to learn how to introduce myself and share my learning experiences to others who are similarly interested in this language. I am strengthening on my 1st to 3rd declension, (irregular) verbs and pronouns. Below is my attempt and I do appreciate any form of feedback I can receive to improve on this language. :D

1. Since young, I do not like to study. Cum progenies, non amo ad studium.
2. I was bad in it and was failing horribly in school. Ego autem malum in eo et deficiens deberet in schola.
3. I was rebellious and not a sensible child. Ego rebelles et non sensibile filia.
4. However, an advice from my mother awaken me. Tamen, an ex consilio matris excitare me.
5. She told me that my future depends on me and I have to work harder or else I will be the one who suffer the consequences. Illa mihi quod meum futuro pendet in me, et ego ad operari difficilius, vel aliud mihi erit, qui pati consequatur.
5. I started to grow a mature mind and was diligent in everything I do. Ego coepi proficere matura mente, et diligens in omnia facere.
6. I was studying when my friends were enjoying their day. Studebat cum amicis meis fruerentur eorum die.
7. My mother played a supportive role and my grades started improving. Mater mea lusit adminicula partes et mea gradus coepi melius.
8. I have gone thus far and was glad to be able to attend one of the top local university in my home country. Ego fuerunt hactenus et gavisus est posse intendere summum loci universitatis in domum meam patria.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Personal Latin Translation Help

Post by bedwere »

It's all wrong. How are you studying Latin? What books and method are you using?

salvatorezxc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by salvatorezxc »

Hi, I am currently using the Oxford Latin Mini Dictionary to translate my work, along with the help of the last few pages of the dictionary. May I know why is it wrong? Was it the translation of the declension or conjugation?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

A mini dictionary is not enough. If you are learning on your own, you need to get a grammar with exercises and the answer key. You can find free scans here https://www.textkit.com/latin_grammar.php . Many like D'Ooge. Then you go through the grammar and do all the exercises. You are encouraged to ask questions, if you have doubts. What you are doing is just a waste of time.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

salvatorezxc wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:46 pm1. Since young, I do not like to study. Cum progenies, non amo ad studium.
I do not like to study. As in English, that should probably be a finite verb plus an infinitive. non amo studere.

Since young. Looking for some examples in Loeb gives me: a pueritia. It's a preposition "a" plus a noun in the ablative case.

a pueritia non amo studere.

People who know better than me could no doubt critique that (and I hope they will). Bedwere's advice of adding in an introductory grammar to what you're doing is pretty good.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Post by Constantinus Philo »

I do not like to study in good latin is mihi studere non placet. Mihi studere non placet, juvenis sum/ quia juvenis sum/ me juvene. For the last one I'm not so sure it's purely classical. It's also possible to say cum juvenis sim... mihi studere non placet.
Semper Fidelis