Empta intercessione

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Empta intercessione

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

From Cicero's Pro Milone 14:

divisa sententia est postulante nescio quo—nihil enim necesse est omnium me flagitia proferre—sic reliqua auctoritas senatus empta intercessione sublata est.

I get the general idea, but what is the exact sense of "empta?" The translation I have says "corrupt" but I'm not precisely sure how to derive that from "empta."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Empta intercessione

Post by mwh »

He's claiming the intercession was “bought” i.e. procured by bribery. Vote buying is not a new practice.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

mwh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:18 pm He's claiming the intercession was “bought” i.e. procured by bribery. Vote buying is not a new practice.
That's how I originally took it, but the translation (and lack of note,) made me second guess. Thanks!
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:46 pm From Cicero's Pro Milone 14:

divisa sententia est postulante nescio quo—nihil enim necesse est omnium me flagitia proferre—sic reliqua auctoritas senatus empta intercessione sublata est.
Because I had to work hard on this quotation, I present a trial translation for correction.

At the demand of somebody [postulante nescio quo] the proposal [sententia] was divided into separate parts for decision[divisa est]--I needn't [nihil enim necesse est . . . me] detail shameful misconduct [ flagitia proferre] that involved everybody [omnium]--in this way the remaining authority of the senate[sic reliqua auctoritas senatus ] was thrown away[sublata est] by a purchased vote. [empta interecessione]
Hugh Lawson

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Hlawson, that sounds good to me. It's not difficult from the syntax, which is actually quite straightforward, but because of the technical use of the vocabulary.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Many thanks Barry. For me, the technical meaning of divisa est was hard to find. In addition, I hesitated for a time over the antecedent of omnium. Finally it took me a while to work up a satisfactory reading of postulante ...quo.
Hugh Lawson