when ı learn latin declensions should ı write their meanings?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
apopetrus
Textkit Neophyte

when ı learn latin declensions should ı write their meanings?

Post by apopetrus »

He guys! I'm using Dowling Method. So when ı learn Latin declensions should ı write their meanings or without them?
Porta - Gate(feminine)
N- porta - Gate
G- portae - of Gate
D- portae - to Gate
Ac-portam- the gate
Abl- porta- By gate
Or Just:
N- porta
G- portae
D- portae
Ac-portam
Abl- porta
Thank you so much

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: when ı learn latin declensions should ı write their meanings?

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I don't know anything about the Dowling method, but the reason for doing the meanings along with the forms is to solidify that for the genitive, dative and ablative one adds words in English, namely prepositions, to complete the usage of the noun in context, and that for the nominative, and accusative, you just use the word or the word with the definite article in English. Remember that the meanings supplied are just a generic guideline, prepositions which in English often covers multiple uses in English, and therefore cover at least some of the multiple uses of these cases in Latin (the accusative actually gets a little more complicated later on). My bottom line would be to follow whatever your textbook, method and/or teacher is telling you to do.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

It depends what you find most helpful.

When I learned declensions I would write eg port-a -ae -ae -am -a (although not being American I put the accusative second). "Of, to and by" are going to be the same in every declension you learn so you can probably drop them as soon as you are familiar with the basic idea. It can be a bit a bit misleading however as for example the ablative can mean "from" and "with" with prepositions as well as other things.

I am unfamiliar with the Dowling method but it doesn't seem to e a good idea to write things out hundreds of times before you start a textbook. No doubt you asked for advice in choosing this method and I hope it works for you,
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

apopetrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by apopetrus »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:59 pm I don't know anything about the Dowling method, but the reason for doing the meanings along with the forms is to solidify that for the genitive, dative and ablative one adds words in English, namely prepositions, to complete the usage of the noun in context, and that for the nominative, and accusative, you just use the word or the word with the definite article in English. Remember that the meanings supplied are just a generic guideline, prepositions which in English often covers multiple uses in English, and therefore cover at least some of the multiple uses of these cases in Latin (the accusative actually gets a little more complicated later on). My bottom line would be to follow whatever your textbook, method and/or teacher is telling you to do.
I'm a self-learner. So I don't have a teacher. And in my Terra (Turkey) Latin is not popular. ı need any help that I can get. Thank you.

apopetrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by apopetrus »

seneca2008 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:10 pm It depends what you find most helpful.

When I learned declensions I would write eg port-a -ae -ae -am -a (although not being American I put the accusative second). "Of, to and by" are going to be the same in every declension you learn so you can probably drop them as soon as you are familiar with the basic idea. It can be a bit a bit misleading however as for example the ablative can mean "from" and "with" with prepositions as well as other things.

I am unfamiliar with the Dowling method but it doesn't seem to e a good idea to write things out hundreds of times before you start a textbook. No doubt you asked for advice in choosing this method and I hope it works for you,
I have a video course that I follow along the way. But it is little tricky being alone without a teacher.

apopetrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by apopetrus »

Actually, I'm using Türkish that has all of the cases.
So I do have understanding all of the cases. The problem is in Turkish they are very clear, but Latin is little different.

N- porta - Gate -kapı
G- portae - of Gate - kapının
D- portae - to Gate- kapıya
Ac-portam- the gate- kapıyı
Abl- porta- By gate - kapıyla