Best way to use these materials together?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
adeus89
Textkit Neophyte

Best way to use these materials together?

Post by adeus89 »

I first purchased Wheelock's, but then I discovered Lingua Latina. I bought pretty much the whole set, but I'd like some advice on how I might use all of these in conjunction with one another? How do you use Wheelock's with LLPSI? How do you use the companion book of LLPSI and the exercise book with the main text? When do you start using the LLPSI supplementary readers?

LLPSI Familia Romana:

Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, Pars I: Familia Romana (Latin Edition)

Exercitia Latina I: Exercises for Familia Romana (Lingua Latina) (Pt. 1, No. 1) (Latin Edition)

A Companion to Familia Romana: Based on Hans Ørberg's Instructions, with Vocabulary and Grammar (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

LLPSI Roma Aeterna:

Roma Aeterna: Second Edition, with Full Color Illustrations (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Exercitia Latina II: Exercises for Roma Aeterna (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

A Companion to Roma Aeterna: Based on Hans Ørberg's Instructions, with Vocabulary and Grammar (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

LLPSI Readers:

Fabellae Latinae

Colloquia Personarum (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Fabulae Syrae (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Amphitryo Comoedia (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Epitome Historiae Sacrae: Brevi Christi Vitae Narratione Addita (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Sermones Romani: Ad usum discipulorum (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Caesaris Commentarii de Bello Gallico (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Sallustius et Cicero: Catilina (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Vergil: Aeneis Libros I et IV (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Petronius Cena Trimalchionis (Lingua Latina) (Latin Edition)

Wheelock's and Miscellaneous:

Wheelock's Latin

38 Latin Stories

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Best way to use these materials together?

Post by Smythe »

I think that you'll find that Orberg's (author of Lingua Latina) and Wheelock's teaching methodologies fundamentally disagree with each other. That being said, there are a couple of paths that people have gone down:
1) Gut it out and go through Wheelock's first. Then, use Lingua Latina as an intermediate reader to gain proficiency in fluently reading Latin.
2) Use Wheelock to memorize Summary of Forms (Morphology) in the back. Then use Linga Latina to learn Latin (This is called the Dowling method: http://www.wcdrutgers.net/Latin.htm )

You can try going through both simultaneously, but I, myself, tried that and it was very frustrating. I thought I'd learn more and more quickly but it just served to bog me down.

You also asked, 'When do you start using the LLPSI supplementary readers?' That is an often asked question. So much so that some kind Dutch person put together a chart. Go to this webpage and look about halfway down: https://www.addisco.nl/blog/lingua-lati ... orberg.htm

And, just for your information, the phrase "extra deel geschhreven door anderen" in the picture means
"extra part written by others"