Errors in Website?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Errors in Website?

Post by bedwere »

Hi,

Beside recording the Cyropaedia, I also started to record for Librivox the Clementine Vulgate. However, I am perplexed with the preface to the modern edition.
Tantus autem Clemens fidem catholicam tutus est opere et sermone, quantus et ipsius Vulgata revelationem Dei ab imminentibus periculis custodivit.
I think it should be Tantum ..., quantum .. as adverbs.
Meaning that as much as Clemens protected the faith etc .etc., so much he preserved etc. etc.
A nominative quantus would refer to how big Clemens was and doesn't make sense to me.
Singulis deinceps annuentibus Papis, minutim sancti libri emittebantur, et postremo anno salutis MCMXCV Biblia tota perfecta est.
minutatim
et Lutherus dimidium errorum coæqualum nostrorum non cogitavit.
coaequalium

Do you agree?

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Errors in Website?

Post by mwh »

I certainly agree with the first. That’s a bad mistake from an editor of a Latin text!

And with the third. Doesn’t the Pope have latinists at his disposal?

EDIT. Oh, or is this new edition a rearguard action against the Church's controversial adoption of the Neo-Vulgate in place of the venerable Clementine? That was John Paul II’s doing—not a traditionalist's favorite pope.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Errors in Website?

Post by bedwere »

Later, the editor of the project corrected number 1 and 3. We both agreed to keep mĭnūtim.