Thesaurus Linguae Latinae in the NYT

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Thesaurus Linguae Latinae in the NYT

Post by Hylander »

For your edification (may be behind a pay wall):

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/30/arts ... e=Homepage

A project that has absorbed tons of money and chewed up tons of scholars, which computers have made more or less superfluous.

Teutonic Ausführlichkeit obsessively pushed well beyond the point of diminishing returns.
Bill Walderman

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Thesaurus Linguae Latinae in the NYT

Post by RandyGibbons »

I don't know that computers have made the task superfluous as opposed to more useful (i.e., searchable). I only learned from the article, btw, that A-P is now available free online. I've just started the "biography" of et and expect to finish it in a decade or so, if I don't kill myself first.

One good thing about the project, though, is that it has offered temporary employment to recent PhDs. One of the first young friends I made taking seminars at Bryn Mawr these last years is a great guy named Charlie Kuper, who went on to get his doctorate and is over there now on a one-year (possibly two-year) contract, and I see he's listed on the TLL site as a contributor. A mutual friend told me this fall what letter Charlie is working on, but I forget what she said. And of course he gets to nail down his German too! I'd take the gig, depending on what word(s) they gave me :D.

Randy

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

If you don't mind posting the link? I can only find it for a subscription fee.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

https://www.thesaurus.badw.de/en/tll-di ... ccess.html

I haven't explored it yet, but the page says "free of charge".