Vergil Aeneid VII and U. Le Guin's Lavinia

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
jacknoutch
Textkit Neophyte

Vergil Aeneid VII and U. Le Guin's Lavinia

Post by jacknoutch »

As per an earlier language query, I'm making my way through the Aeneid VII-XI, which I have not looked at before in the Latin. At the same time, I have picked up my copy of Ursula Le Guin's Lavinia, which makes for a very good combination.

I've enjoyed everything I've read by Le Guin, and hers is a retelling of Vergil's story that I find affectionate and accurate. Accurate is a funny word to use of a poem about mythical events, but it is right insofar as it describes Le Guin's marvellous attention to detail of the original. I'm happily bumbling along in the narrative when I come across something that, as a Latinist, pleases me no end to see that she's spent the time to really know her source material.

A few examples of what I've been reading today:
  1. Ascanius is described as "wearing a bent-forward red cloth cap." To the layman, it is an imaginative visual description, but a Classicist recognises that Le Guin is describing, without using its name, a Phrygian cap, such as were used ubiquitously in ancient artistic depictions of Trojan persons.
  2. Le Guin anchors her story with a number of points that are directly drawn, sometimes very close translations of Vergil. E.g. Ascanius's "joke" about eating their tables, which forms the fulfilment of a prophecy marking the end of the Trojans' odyssey:
    "Well, it's not at every meal you get to eat your table too."
    Compare the original (Aen. VII.116-7):
    “Heus ! etiam mensas consumimus,” inquit Iulus,
    nec plura adludens.

Her free translation allows a the remark to remain a joke/ironic remark, while staying faithful to Vergil's original.
  3. Interestingly, Le Guin gives the sense of Faunus' prophecy to Latinus, but after the first line it is too distant to be thought of as a translation:
    "Do not let the daughter of Latium marry a man of Latium. Let her marry the stranger that comes, that even now is coming. And the kingdom of her sons will be far greater than the kingdom of Latium."
    Here's Vergil's (VII.96-101):
    “Ne pete conubiis natam sociare Latinis,
    O mea progenies, thalamis neu crede paratis:
    externi venient generi, qui sanguine nostrum
    nomen in astra ferant quorumque a stirpe nepotes
    omnia sub pedibus, qua Sol utrumque recurrens
    aspicit Oceanum, vertique regique videbunt.”

I wonder if Vergil's language is to imperialistic and conquesty for Le Guin to go further than "will be far greater".

As an aside, I think I see a play on words by Vergil on "generi": either it's gener, generi, m. ("Foreign sons-in-law will come...") or genus, generis, n. ("Foreigners will come for [i.e. to grow, dat. of advantage] your line.").
Has anyone else read Le Guin's Lavinia?

NB I put this rather literary topic on the Learning Latin board, where it seemed to me best placed. However, being new, please do (Moderators...) instruct me if I have desecrated the temple of the language-learning gods (Minerva?), and whether there is a better location.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Vergil Aeneid VII and U. Le Guin's Lavinia

Post by Aetos »

I've read most of the books in her Earthsea and Hannish Cycles and the The Lathe of Heaven, but had no idea she had written anything like Lavinia. I'm currently reading the Aeneid right now, albeit at a somewhat slow pace. It takes me roughly a month to read each book, so I anticipate finishing towards the end of April (I'm presently in Book IX). I will definitely put Lavinia on my list to read after that. Thanks for mentioning this! I don't think I'd ever have known otherwise.

jacknoutch
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Vergil Aeneid VII and U. Le Guin's Lavinia

Post by jacknoutch »

I'm glad you're interested to read it, Aetos! She was such a prolific writer, I keep coming across things I never knew she had penned.

My pace with the Aeneid is also relatively slow - little and often. But that way you do make progress!