Who to follow?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Pianophile
Textkit Fan

Who to follow?

Post by Pianophile »

I'm still investigating how to proceed with my Latin studies. Perhaps rashly I started off with Duolingo, but then came across Gwynne's Latin whose advice I took to heart and seem to have benefited from since I'm now confidently embarking on C.M. Dix's A First Latin Reader and Writer. However, Familia Romana (Lingua Latina) by ørberg seems to be highly thought of. Not sure if it's a good idea to study them all in parallel or concentrate on one. Any thoughts on this or other suggestions? Thanks.
My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
τοῦτ' ἑν ψυχῇ λόγοι ὁσπερ κάλλος ἑν σώματι.

Siegfried Zaytsev
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Who to follow?

Post by Siegfried Zaytsev »

My advice is to use the simplest textbook/text you can find and finish it as fast as you can, then go to the next one and finish it as fast as you can, and so on. Volume matters (of text in the target language, not of lengthy historical and linguistic introductions and grammar explanations with exhaustive list of every single exception to the rules). The more pages you read per day, the better. Reading one page or half a page of a very challenging (for your level) textbook/text a day is better than nothing but can hardly be considered efficient use of your time.

I've read Lingua Latīna (Pars Prīma) in full twice. In the beginning it is fairly simple, but the difficulty curve keeps getting steeper and steeper as you proceed. I think there is no harm in starting reading it and, if at some point you think it becomes too tough, simply switching to an easier textbook, then picking it up where you left off after you've built up your vocabulary and grammar knowledge using easier texts/textbooks.

I don't think there is a problem studying two or more textbooks in parallel. It is all Latin after all. Do what works best for you.

To summarize, the worst thing is to get stuck and stop studying. If you are not making progress, it does not matter how highly thought of your current textbook is. Switch to something else where you would be making progress.

PS. If you can add some speaking practice to your reading, that is extremely valuable.

PPS. Lingua Latīna (Pars Prīma) has audio files of the first 31 chapters read by the author. I found them very helpful.

PPPS. I am currently reading Oxford Latin Course by Maurice Balme and James Morwood. I mostly skip English text and just read Latin text for volume. It is fast, easy and fun.

Good luck in your studies!

Pianophile
Textkit Fan

Post by Pianophile »

Siegfried Zaytsev wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:09 pm
PS. If you can add some speaking practice to your reading, that is extremely valuable.

PPS. Lingua Latīna (Pars Prīma) has audio files of the first 31 chapters read by the author. I found them very helpful.
The link in Lingua Latina Pars Prima to http://courses.pullins.com isn't active, it seems. "Page not found" is all I get. Any idea where I might find the audio files.

Thanks for your response. I have a feeling Familia Romana will suit me, but for variety will do some of the N. M. Gwynne Latin and C. M. Dix A First Latin Reader and Writer lessons.
My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Pianophile wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:32 pm
Siegfried Zaytsev wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:09 pm

The link in Lingua Latina Pars Prima to http://courses.pullins.com isn't active, it seems. "Page not found" is all I get. Any idea where I might find the audio files.

Thanks for your response. I have a feeling Familia Romana will suit me, but for variety will do some of the N. M. Gwynne Latin and C. M. Dix A First Latin Reader and Writer lessons.
Familia Romana Latine audio album - available in ecclesiastical or classical pronunciation.

Pianophile
Textkit Fan

Post by Pianophile »

Bedwere - I'm afraid no good - haven't got a US dollar account and they won't accept £ Sterling. Amazon co.uk has one on offer at £249 (US$ 324) from a UK supplier !!! Talk about greed! Never mind, shall have to battle on without audio, although can listen to some of the brief samples available online.

Edit: Bedwere - found the audio online - problem solved! :D