Hoplite

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Hoplite

Post by jeidsath »

This game was a Valentine's Day present from my wife. I am not a war gamer, but after reading through Xenophon's description of the battle of Cunaxa a great number of times now, I am excited about playing it.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Hoplite

Post by Bart »

That brings back memories! I was a (war)gamer once, and I've actually played this game system (Great Battles of Histories) though not this particular module. It's nice, though quite fiddly, and many scenarios are seriously lobsided. In some respects it's more like a study of a particular battle than a game. You can also play this game online, real time or via email through a program called Vassal (in case you don't find any opponents). Here's a link to a website dedicated to games where you can find more information and ask questions: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/145975/hoplite

If you've never played this kind of games before, you may well be overwhelmed at first by the complexity of the rules. There is a simpler (though still far from simple) alternative called Command and Colors: Ancients. Good luck!