Where to find editions with larger font sizes

donhamiltontx
Textkit Member

Where to find editions with larger font sizes

Post by donhamiltontx »

In an earlier thread, anphph asked where to find 'critical' editions. http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... 36&t=65232. I on the other hand am looking for editions with larger fonts. As an example, I cite the Pleiade edition of the 7 volumes of Proust's Recherche versus the Folio Editions of the same. The Pleiade edition makes my eyes very tired very quickly, but the Folio Edition works okay. (Did I mention that I am old?)
Some of the older editions from Google Books work will, too, but I often prefer the hard copy to the screen copy. I know I can print pdf's, but given the cost in ink and time, I would rather buy a real book.
Once upon a time there was a publisher in Holland, I believe, that printed classics as real books with comfortable font sizes. I bought a very satisfactory copy of The Metamorphoses from there, but that was a long time ago, and I can no longer remember the publisher's name.
Any help out there would be appreciated.

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Where to find editions with larger font sizes

Post by ailuros »

hello there! i don't own any of the geoffrey steadman student editions, but i saw one once in a book store and, if memory serves, he provides a heavily annotated version of the text, and also a non-annotated version. i have tired old eyes and remember being impressed by the largeness of the type. not sure if any of his editions cover works which interest you. don't know which texts steadman uses, but i assume they are standard ones (like marchant for xenophon, etc.). i have one of those mysterious re-prints of goodwin's first four books of the anabasis, and the print for that text is quite large. the quality of these seem to vary - according to amazon reviews - but i was happy with mine. good luck in your search!

donhamiltontx
Textkit Member

Re: Where to find editions with larger font sizes

Post by donhamiltontx »

Hi, ailuros.
Steadman's texts come as pdfs as well as hard copies, and I have always used the pdfs on the computer. Just to confirm, Steadman does use Marchant's edition for Xenophon (https://geoffreysteadman.com/xenophon-anabasis-i/).
Very similar to Steadman's versions are works edited by Evan Hayes and Stephen Nimis, of which I have several. They come with larger font sizes and plenty of white space. Some Oxford Classical Texts and Bryn Mawr texts that I have were printed in the 80s or early 90s, and their fonts sizes could be larger, but they are acceptable.
I looked for Goodwin's edition of Xenophon on Amazon and was amazed to find a copy. Your suggestion should prove a fruitful one because I am going to look for other older editions especially of Thucydides and Tacitus on Google Books or archive.org that may be out of print but still available used at reasonable costs.
Thanks for your suggestions.