The Young Pope

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

The Young Pope

Post by jeidsath »

This is a wonderfully filmed series. There is a bit of Church Latin (various rites and prayers), Italian, and Spanish. The best parts by far, however, are the cinematography and costuming. The shots of the Vatican are like a documentary, with the Pope (Jude Law) dressed in full medieval regalia. At the beginning I assumed that the story was going in the direction of Habemus Papam, but it didn't turn out like that at all.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: The Young Pope

Post by bedwere »

I don't have a TV, so I can't comment directly. On Rorate Caeli ("International Traditional Catholic Web Log") they posted a very negative review:

The Pope and the Vatican mocked at the Venice Film Festival (original Italian here)

But maybe this will entice people to watch!

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: The Young Pope

Post by jeidsath »

WDTPRS gives a more positive review, based on the first two episodes, just like Rorate Caeli's review. My wife, a devout Lutheran, found it uncomfortably favorable to the Catholic Church. Having seen all ten episodes, I don't think that Catholics of the traditionalist bent who watch the whole thing will be disappointed, but they will have to put up with a number of venial old men playing power politics at the Vatican -- something that I hear actually does go on.

I recommend it to more general audiences entirely based on the cinematography, which is breathtaking, and the primary reason that I posted it to this forum. You won't get closer to the beauty of the Vatican without being made a Cardinal (or surrounded by tourists).
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com