Food -Dishes

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Food -Dishes

Post by Sohtnirybal »

Χαίρετε ὦ φίλοι.

I was wondering if you might know books on diet, ingredients, dishes and in general if you know anyinformation to response: what did the greeks used to eat?

Thanks, and hope your comments

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Food -Dishes

Post by mwh »

See Ancient Greek cuisine in Wiki. And Apicius is an ancient Roman cookbook.

A good overview: http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/greece/food.htm

Agesilaos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Agesilaos »

Hi,

For a long list of videos with instructions and actual preparing
of Greek food, mostly ancient but also for whatever reason
some modern, go to "Youtube". At the top of the page you will
find the place to type "ancient greek food" and hit search.
I did not not count the items Youtube returned, they should be
more than 20.
Enjoy the small fish, the figs, the onions and the garlic, the wiener
wurst and the feta. Close your eyes and think you are in the Athenian
agora and try to survive Sokrates.
If you prefer it the other way, go to Sparta and try "ton melana zomon"
with a glass of wine.

chaire!!

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal »

Thanks you both for your answers.

Dear Agesilaos I enjoyed your comment. Yes, you got what I really want, it´s get an approach to the ancient greeks not only by the language but also by their stomach, that´s why I want to know what did greeks ate. I surely know you are acquainted to the Nietzschean's Ecce Homo, which is of course the ἦθος λόγος of my inquiry. I really believe Nietzsche could say it one hundred one times better than I do, here´s Nietzsche “I am interested in a question on which the ‘salvation of humanity’ depends more than on any curio of the theologians: the question of nutrition. For ease of use, one can put it in the following terms: ‘how do you personally have to nourish yourself in order to attain your maximum of strength, of virtù in the Renaissance style,* of moraline-free virtue?’*”

The suggestion to see, admire and understand how Greeks used to ate is open for me by the previous apart. How they used to ate to get the maximum of their strength? And whats the relationship between decadence of the polis and the changes in the way Greeks used to eat? How was understood the concept of diet?

I will see what you´l have shared me.

ἔρρωσο

Agesilaos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Agesilaos »

I surely know you are acquainted to the Nietzschean's Ecce Homo,

What makes you surely know that I am acquainted to Nietzsche, please?

Agesilaos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Agesilaos »

I did not include in the Athenian diet the bread and the olives
bot constants in the Greek diet, to this day.

Regards!

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal »

Agesilaos wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:50 am I surely know you are acquainted to the Nietzschean's Ecce Homo,

What makes you surely know that I am acquainted to Nietzsche, please?

Hallo. You are right, I just supposed because Nietzsche's is a rockstar and because I thought, being influenced by a "cognitive bias (in spanish sesgo cognitivo), that because we are studying philologhy (it means we are making an approach to the antique culture) we (I include you) surely know the history of this discipline, and with that we could not ignore one of the most famous and heterodox philologist: Nietzsche. In any case it´s my mistake to suposse that, I don´t want to be misleading: that Nietzschean evocation borns just because exaltation, emotion evoked from your comment more than other thing. I apreciate your comment and as I said I enjoy it.

On the other hand I was thinking the greek bread differs radically with modern bread at least because their ingredients and their elaboration, but Idk how to cook it or even how greeks did their bread, I will find out. Olive oil ummm!! I love it, the smell really makes me feel like a peninsula inhabitant, its just a constantly olorosa evocation of a dark orange almost goldy crepuscular evening. What really matters me is trying to taste what greeks cooked in my everyday live.

Thanks, and sonely when I get some time I will inquire in some books about the greek food and if you like I could share you what I got, or even viceversa If you got something I gladly welcome it.

(I apologize because my english it´s not my native language so i don´t feel quite confortable using it)

Callisper
Textkit Member

Post by Callisper »

mwh wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:57 pm See Ancient Greek cuisine in Wiki.
Thanks for the ref. Looking at the bibliography I am astonished by the amount of scholarship this subject has received as well as how much care has clearly gone into that scholarship.

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal »

the last comment is true, the french have very interesting works about this topic, I recently found a very seductive book call, Honey, Olives, Octopus. Adventures at the Greek Table.