Professor Mary Beard - The Ancient World and us

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Professor Mary Beard - The Ancient World and us

Post by seneca2008 »

Mary Beard has given a series of lectures in the annual "prestigious Gifford Lectures series" at Edinburgh University entitled "Professor Mary Beard - The Ancient World and us: from fear and loathing to enlightenment and ethics". I found them entertaining and illuminating.

They are available here

https://www.ed.ac.uk/arts-humanities-so ... mary-beard
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Piekarski
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Professor Mary Beard - The Ancient World and us

Post by Piekarski »

Thanks for sharing this! I've listened to the first lecture on gladiator games and learned a lot. I plan to listen to the rest soon.

Dante
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dante »

fantastic lecture series: I love how she glosses "great conquerors" as "genocidal maniacs" lol

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

A phrase she quite possibly borrowed from English history i.e. the jocular "genocidal maniac" theory of Anglo-Saxon conquest.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.