A point about bucolic pauses in dactylic hexameter poetry

Discuss meter, interpretation, and all things Latin Poetry
Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Member

A point about bucolic pauses in dactylic hexameter poetry

Post by Anthony Appleyard »

In Latin and Greek dactylic hexameter poetry, a bucolic pause is a pause at the end of a 4th foot which is a dactyl, for example:

Virgil, Georgics iii 54

tum longo nullus lateri modus; omnia magna

"meanwhile [a good cow]'s long flank has no limit; all [points] are large"

I have noticed that in most bucolic pauses that I have seen, the 4th foot ends in "short vowel, consonant, pause". There seems to be a tendency for a syllable boundary near a pause to be attracted from its usual place to the pause; this here changes the 4th foot from a dactyl (-i modu-) into a cretic (-i modus), causing a tension or suspense, which is resolved when the word after the pause (omnia) comes and starts with a vowel (or h+vowel), thus showing that the 4th foot is a dactyl after all.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: A point about bucolic pauses in dactylic hexameter poetr

Post by mwh »

I think you’re confusing syllabification with prosodic continuity. What you’ve observed is a paraphonological phenomenon. You have it even between sentences and at changes of speaker, and it’s not confined to dactylic hexameter. Plenty of examples in Greek comedy, for instance.

Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Member

Post by Anthony Appleyard »

> tum longo nullus lateri modus; omnia magna

I realize that difference. Here by the usual rules the syllable divisions are:

tum lon|go nul|lus late|ri modu|s; omnia| magna

but a major pause, at least in English, in my experience tends to cause a speech hesitation:-

tum lon|go nul|lus late|ri modus;| .......

and, during that speech hesitation, "-ri modus" sounds like a cretic, which is wrong and causes a tension, until the word "omnia" starts, and prosodic continuity reasserts itself, and the tension resolves in the hearer's mind as the remembered syllable boundary reverts to the usual place "-|ri modu|s; omnia|..." .

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

To make your point more strongly you could have adduced corpora praecipue matrum legat. optima torvae just 3 lines earlier, or te sine nil altum mens incohat. en age segnis a little before that at 42. But no, I’m afraid you’re wrong. Nothing "sounds like a cretic" in dactylic hexameter, not even momentarily. A pause after modus or legat or incohat doesn’t compromise the dactylic rhythm so long as a vowel follows, as we know it will. (The horizons of expectation are conditioned by the fact that this is dactylic hexameter.) I hate to say it, but what you need is some metrical theory. Syllable division is a trickier business than “the usual rules” would have you believe. Think about the caesura at (aptly enough) 110 nec mora nec requies; at fulvae nimbus harenae.