A humorous Latin poem in a newspaper

Discuss meter, interpretation, and all things Latin Poetry
Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Member

A humorous Latin poem in a newspaper

Post by Anthony Appleyard »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Telegraph

The readers' letters page in the Daily Telegraph 19 Feb 2019 included this humorous Latin elegaic poem sent in by Dr. David Butterfield (Queens' College, Cambridge) about the Brexit:

Quid sibi vult Brexit? qui Brexitus exitus ipse?
quomodo, qua, quando terra Britanna Bregat?
nunc post lustra novem Bregere - an Brexire? - necesse est:
parsne fuit Remanens parte Abeunte minor?
vox populi, divi est; at vox repetita fit echo.
nunc referenda iterum sunt referenda plebi?
est gravius multo spectare futura Britannis:
quid referet nobis extera vita novi?
quaerere plura queam; meliora intendere malo:
Europhilos ut nos dedecet usque queri.
nam, Brecta EUropa, non parvam noster amoris
stillam Euro paean inde favente teget.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: A humorous Latin poem in a newspaper

Post by seneca2008 »

I find it difficult to find anything about Brexit amusing. It is the most disastrous policy mistake we in the UK have made since Suez.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

Hi, this is fantastic! (I only just saw this.)

To give a little Textkit history, the author of this poem used to be a regular poster on Textkit: whiteoctave.

He's definitely a classicist to watch. From memory (this goes back over a decade), he's one of very few who won the composition prize at Cambridge in all four categories in the same year (Latin prose comp, Latin verse comp, Greek prose comp, Greek verse comp), and from memory he won the Rouse Fellowship before he had even begun his PhD.

For those practising comp on this forum, in addition to many publications, is the author of the Latin elegaics note linked in the composition board guidance post:

http://www.aoidoi.org/articles/ktl/LatinElegiacs.pdf

Cheers, Chad

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

When I recovered the old forum greek encodings that had been junk text for years, I was happy to discover his compositions, though I'm afraid that his line breaks still need recovery. I sent an email to let him know, but don't know if I used the correct address.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

cclaudian
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cclaudian »

cb wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:06 am Hi, this is fantastic! (I only just saw this.)

To give a little Textkit history, the author of this poem used to be a regular poster on Textkit: whiteoctave.

He's definitely a classicist to watch. From memory (this goes back over a decade), he's one of very few who won the composition prize at Cambridge in all four categories in the same year (Latin prose comp, Latin verse comp, Greek prose comp, Greek verse comp), and from memory he won the Rouse Fellowship before he had even begun his PhD.

For those practising comp on this forum, in addition to many publications, is the author of the Latin elegaics note linked in the composition board guidance post:

http://www.aoidoi.org/articles/ktl/LatinElegiacs.pdf

Cheers, Chad
Tis strange knowing my supervisor is a former textkit user. What other faces lurk behind these many usernames, I wonder?