Neo-Latin Supplements to lost works

Latin after CDLXXVI
Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Neo-Latin Supplements to lost works

Post by Shenoute »

Recently on Reddit someone mentioned Freinsheim's Supplements to Titus Livius' Roman History. This led me to read parts of them and also to notice that substitutes to lost parts of Classical works seem to be not an uncommon thing in the Neo-Latin corpus.

So far I've seen mention of the ones listed below (I don't doubt there are others to be found). Of course their content cannot bring any new information but it may still be enjoyable reading depending on the quality of the "forgery". They appear to have been in print well into the 19th c. so there must be something to be said for them, at least as regards their usefulness as a collection of original sources (in the case of historians).

Titus Livius
J. Freinsheim (1608-1660). Perhaps the most prolific of them since he wrote 105 missing books of Livy. Here is a link to the last one, book CXL. There are multiple editions of them.

Curtius Rufus
The same Freinsheim also wrote Book I and II of Curtius Rufus' biography of Alexander the Great.

Tacitus
G. Bro(t)tier (1723-1789) published an edition of Tacitus' works in which he included his Supplements to the Annals (completing the damaged books and writing the missing ones, vol. 2-3), the end of book V of the Histories (vol. 5) and a filled the lacuna in the Dialogus de Oratoribus (vol. 6).

Lucanus
Th. May (1595-1650) published seven books of the Pharsalia, bringing it to March 44 BC.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Neo-Latin Supplements to lost works

Post by Shenoute »

Cicero
C. Sigonius (1524-1584) published Cicero's lost Consolatio. The work was soon considered to be a forgery.

Petronius
F. Nodot (c. 1650-1710) published Supplements to the Satyricon.