Erasmus, Praise of Folly, query 3

Latin after CDLXXVI
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Erasmus, Praise of Folly, query 3

Post by hlawson38 »

Is there online anywhere a glossary of the Greek expressions in Erasmus, Praise of Folly?
Hugh Lawson

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Erasmus, Praise of Folly, query 3

Post by Shenoute »

I don't know if there is one. If not, maybe an with the comments by G. Listrius would do? Every Greek phrase is explained by a note. See for instance the Leiden edition or a facsimile of the edition with Hans Holbein's wonderful illustrations in the margins.

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

Alternatively, you can also post them here, and Textkittens may translate them to you. All Greek phrases have been highlighted in this Leiden text.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Thanks to Shenoute and Timothée for the replies. The text I'm using has the Greek expressions printed in Roman characters, like these from section 7.

patêr andrôn te theôn te
Toutou patros euchomai einai
en philotêti michtheis

Each number section, so far, has several of these Greek quotations.
Hugh Lawson

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Timothée wrote:Textkittens
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

patêr andrôn te theôn te

Father of men and gods

Toutou patros euchomai einai

I boast that I am of this father.

This seems to be from the Iliad 14.114, πατρὸς δ’ ἐξ ἀγαθοῦ καὶ ἐγὼ γένος εὔχομαι εἶναι, but I think that he should have τούτου τοῦ πατρὸς? Maybe I'm wrong.

en philotêti michtheis

Having been mixed in friendship
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Many thanks jeidsath for those translations.

I'm grateful for the invitation to post these queries here.
Hugh Lawson

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

en philotêti michtheis
Having been mixed in friendship
Ahem. I had to laugh.

This is Homeric language (or close to it) for "having had sex [with]".

LSJ μείγνυμι :
4. in Hom. and Hes. most freq. of the sexes, have intercourse with, both of the man and the woman, sts. abs., Il.9.275, etc.: more freq. μιγῆναί τινι, of the man, 21.143, etc.; of the woman, Od.1.73; “ἄρσενι θῆλυ μιγῆν” Parm.12.5, cf. Pi.P.3.14, al.; but in Trag. only of the man, as μητρὶ μ<ε>ιχθῆναι, μιγῆναι, S.OT791, 995; but in Com. “μ<ε>ιγνυμένας τοῖσιν ἀδελφοῖς” Ar.Ra.1081 (anap.): in Prose pres. μίσγεσθαι in this sense, of the man, Hdt.2.64, etc.; of the woman, Id.1.5, 199, Od.22.445; in full, φιλότητί τινι μιγῆναι, of the man, Il.6.165; of the woman, ib.161, Hes.Th.927, 970, etc.; ἐμισγέσθην φ., of the two, Il.14.295; ἐν φιλότητι μίσγεσθαι (with or without τινι), of the man, 2.232, 24.131; of the woman, h.Hom.33.5; Διὸς φιλότητι μιγῆναι, Διὸς ἐν φ. μ., of the woman, Hes.Th.920, h.Merc.4; σῇ φ. μ., of the man, h.Ven.150; εὐνῇ μ., of the man, Od. 1.433; φιλότητι καὶ εὐνῇ, of the man, Il.3.445, cf. Od.15.420; of the woman, 5.126; but “ἐν ἀγκοίνῃσι Διός” 11.268: c. acc. cogn., “φιλότης . . , ἣν ἐμίγης” Il.15.33.—The aor. I is not used in this sense by Hom., but occurs in the Hymns, h.Ven.46, al.; the aor. I is more freq. in Hes. and Pi. (Cf. Lat. misceo, Skt. meksáyati 'stir', miśrás 'mixed'.)
LSJ φιλότης :
4. in Hom., freq. of sexual love or intercourse, in various phrases: “μίγη φιλότητι καὶ εὐνῇ” Il.6.25, cf. 3.445, al.; “ἵνα μισγεαι ἐν φ.” 2.232; καθεύδετον ἐν φ., παραλέξομαι ἐν φ., Od.8.313, Il.14.237; ὕπνῳ καὶ φ. δαμείς ib.353, cf. 207, 13.636: less freq. c. gen., “ἀείδειν ἀμφ᾽ Ἄρεος φιλότητος ἐϋστεφάνου τ᾽ Ἀφροδίτης” Od.8.267; “φ. γυναικός” Hes. Sc.31, cf. Th.374,405,625,822: pl., Pi.P.9.39, N.8.1, Antipho Soph. 49.
The reference in Erasmus' text is to the tale of Aphrodite's adultery with Ares in contravention of her marriage to the lame blacksmith god Hephaistos, as told in the song of Demodokos in Odyssey 8.266 ff.
Bill Walderman

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

:lol: