Help for a sentence from Gregorius III's letter

Latin after CDLXXVI
mecumporto
Textkit Neophyte

Help for a sentence from Gregorius III's letter

Post by mecumporto »

Salvete,

I have been learning Latin for 1 year and now trying to translate something relating to my main topic of Graduate Thesis.

I have some problem with a sentence from a letter from Gregorius III to Carolus Matellus. I would like to have some help from you to translate it. I have tried but couldn't proceed.

Tamen omnes nostros dolores subtilius in ore posuimus praesenti potitori, tuo fideli, que in auribus tuae excellenciae suggerere debeat.

(I understand that there is a comparison in the sentence saying ''it's better to say all of our sufferings to you than keeping them from you'' or something. As I have said above, I can't complete it.)

Thanks for your help.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help for a sentence from Gregorius III's letter

Post by mwh »

subtilius is a comparative form but there’s no real comparison. He’s just saying that he’s given a full account of his troubles to the bearer of the letter, who’s to tell Charles all about them.

Convince us you don’t just want us to do your work for you and we can explain the Latin to you.

mecumporto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mecumporto »

Thank you for helping me.

I have been studying on my Graduate Thesis which is about Carolus Martellus and the changing world of Carolingians. I have translated a few of the annales dating to the period (Annales Mettenses Priores, Annales Alamanni etc.). After that, I have found that there are two letters which were written by Gregorius III to Carolus Martellus. I translated the first one except this sentence. Because of that, I have decided to ask for help from this forum. If you explain this sentence to me gramatically, ı would appretiate it. This would be great. My own purpose is the learning something, not asking for someone to do my work.

Thanks again.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Thanks for explaining. I’d hoped that telling you what the sentence was saying would be enough, but here’s some help with the grammar:

omnes nostros dolores object of posuimus.
subtilius adverb with in ore posuimus; the comparative means “rather” not “more.”
He’s given a detailed account (orally, not in writing!) “to the present bearer [of this letter], your faithful [servant]."
que = quae, neut.pl., “which (things)," object of suggerere.
“which he (the carrier) should (debeat, subjunctive) …”

Can you figure it out now?

Pope Greg is pleading for Charles’ (military?) help, as I trust you understand.

mecumporto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mecumporto »

Yes, he was seeking for Carolus's help against Langobards who was in conflict with the Pope himself. But eventually, Carolus wouldn't do it.

Thank you so much for your help. It has been very helpful for me to understand the grammar of the sentence.

Vale!