Attic/Modern Greek comparison

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Attic/Modern Greek comparison

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a book or a website that compares Attic with Modern Greek grammatically?

It might be helpful if one were to start learning Modern Greek after having learnt Attic, which I am considering.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re: Attic/Modern Greek comparison

Post by mingshey »

You can find a thorough treatise on that subject in Geoffery C. Horrocks' "Greek: A History Of The Language And Its Speakers", Addison Wesley (ISBN-13: 978-0582307094).
But the faster way to compare them is to learn both of them a little bit.
And you might find the Wikipedia article on Greek Language helpful.
Cheers!

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Horrock's is the best, also bear in mind the difference between spoken and written..
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

Thank you, Mingshey and Scribo. Horrock's does look like the perfect book for what I want to do, from what I can see about it on Amazon. It's price is quite high, however, so I'll have to wait a while before I can get it.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

That looks like a very interesting book. I have started learning modern Greek last year and I am really curious about comparisons with ancient Greek (since that is not a part of the course I am following, and rightly so, it is not intended to be academic).

Thanks, Mingshey!
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl