Aeolic Order of Architecture

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Aeolic Order of Architecture

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

Hello,

I have been interested lately in Greek and Roman Architecture, and having come across a fabulous video podcast course on Roman architecture available from Yale at http://oyc.yale.edu/history-of-art/roman-architecture, I have been looking for anything, podcast or otherwise, dealing with the development of Greek architecture, which uses pictures or video. So far not much luck.

Naturally, the one style of Greek architecture which interests me the most is Aeolic, precisely because it is the least well known style. So far, I have only found one out of print book on the subject, 'The Aeolic Style in Architecture, by Philip P Betancourt', which is listed on Amazon for over a hundred and twenty-one dollars!

Does anyone have any idea where even rudimentary information on the Aeolic style can be found? I would especially like to know what a complete Aeolic building would have looked like.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'