Dictionary

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Hammurabi
Textkit Neophyte

Dictionary

Post by Hammurabi »

Hi everyone!

I apologize for the inconvenience but I really need help on this...

Do you know any complete and good online ancient greek dictionary? :?

Because I've search and search, and I guess I'm not a good searcher but I couldn't find any good one.
:cry:
I rememer I saw once a pretty nice old scanned two way dictionary, but I didnt save the adress...

May be can add in this treath all those links, lol! so new people like me wont have much trouble

I thank you in advance guys! :D :) :)

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Try Perseus -

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/resolveform

Not only do you get to search one Ancient Greek Dictionary, you get to search several! - the Great Scott, the Middle Liddell, and a few others.

Perseus has been linked several times in the links forum, though perhaps not the dictionary tool specifically.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

If you want to download a dictionary as an E Book - then you may be looking in vain. I have never managed to find one, even after about 12 months of searching.

At the back of White's "First Greek Book" there is a fairly comprehensive dictionary of all the vocab. used in his book (Greek to English and English to Greek). This should be enough to get you through the beginner stage and you could print this section out as a reference guide.

If you do find a downloadable dictionary - please let us know!

Hammurabi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hammurabi »

Hi, everyone :D

I've found this one-way, English-greek dictionary,

it is very complete and I liked it very much :) :D

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/efts/Woodhouse/

Now I need to find a Greek-English dictionary

:? :shock:

PhilipF
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PhilipF »

I have 2 ancient Greek dictionaries on my PC. 1 is the L&S that comes as part of the Perseus CD .The other is also L&S based and I downloaded it from www.logos.com but you have to pay an unlocking fee to use it .
The advantage of the Logos version is that you simply do a word search in it (contrl+W) as soon as you type in a few letters it offers you a list of dictionary entries. This is helpful if you dont know the root version of a word you come across in a text .

Beatus Pistor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Beatus Pistor »

I wonder whether the LS-Intermediate has become a public domain in recent years, as one could then get a pdf file of it.

PhilipF, where did you get your copy of the Perseus CD?

rimon-jad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rimon-jad »

yeah, the Perseus CD lexicon sucks if you don´t know the dict. form, the right tones AND where the hell can one find them on the keyboard. The Advantage is a list of occurances. If forced to lookup the words on the computer, I use the Bibleworks implementation of LSD.

PhilipF
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PhilipF »

I ordered the Perseus CD via a local bookshop using the ISBN number 0300080913 . (that is for the cheaper concise edition without all the extra art images ).You can order it online via Yale University press or Amazon.(when I checked I saw Amazon offering "used" copies for $100)
I dont think a PDF file would be a practical format for a dictionary . BTW "Kalos" is useful too though not a dictionary it gives verb forms and definitions and is free.
The Bibleworks interface looks similar to Logos judging by the screenshot . I also use the Strongs Lexicon which comes with the free 'Online Bible' . It links in with the Greek New Testament text but not with the Septuagint unfortunately.
regards Philip

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

in this this thread you can find some on-line dictionaries I found. I haven't really checked any of these though so I don't know how good they are