Introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
audreyinboston
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction

Post by audreyinboston »

Hello all,

I have been reading the forums here for the last week in search of info about learning Latin and Greek. I have previously gone through Wheelock's with an online group (I can't believe I ate the whole thing!) and part of another out-of-print text with another group (this eventually folded because the moderator's life got too busy). I also have a degree (from long ago) in French and have studied some Spanish with my kids (mostly conversational).

Since I homeschool my kids, I am planning to start introducing Latin next year to our studies and have been gleaning all I can about what approach to take. I'm still uncertain if I want to use an immersion approach or a grammar-first approach or some combination. Every time I think I've made up my mind, I read some really convincing argument for the other side. I guess the real problem is that I'm not sure what my ultimate goal is--I like the idea of reading fluency, but I also want the "formative" process that comes from tackling grammar at a deep level.

For myself, I am also interested in Greek, and am looking at Attic Greek programs. Eventually we'll probably tackle this in our homeschool as well. In the meantime, I need to get myself going so I have some clue how to go about doing this.

Thanks much for the copious amounts of great advice here as well as the sharing of resources. Those answer keys are vital for my auto-didactic attempts!

Audrey

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re: Introduction

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Audrey and thanks for joining us.

It's great to see that you are homeschooling and that you have Latin too in your future lesson plans. I don't know the age of your children, but if it helps, traditionally in the United States (circa 1900) children would begin Latin at about the 5th grade.

I think you're instincts are correct that some grammar discussions are needed and one positive side-effect of studying foreign languages, which I'm sure you're aware, is that English grammar often improves as the learner is exposed to more and more grammatical terms and concepts.

My own children are still to young to begin studying Latin, so I'm sorry I cannot give you any practical advice.

thanks again,

Jeff
Textkit Founder