Best for Fonts & Unicode: Windows or Mac?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Talmid
Textkit Member

Best for Fonts & Unicode: Windows or Mac?

Post by Talmid »

Please tell me your opinion. I was a longtime Windows user and got my first Mac about two years ago. Since then I haven't been able to figure out how to do all the fancy stuff on my Mac as I used to do with Windows. For example, I can't even find vowels in Times New Roman with macrons. With Windows it was easy to do in a Word document. Thus I'm considering going back to Windows.

What are your comments about typing Greek as a font and unicode? Which works best for you: Windows or Mac?

Thanks for your help.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Best for Fonts & Unicode: Windows or Mac?

Post by Scribo »

This probably won't help. But I use Windows, and simply change the keyboard settings to type Greek and shift between them. Most of my communication is in Greek so this is useful, you can also add in an option so that you have access to polytonic Greek and set it to change between languages with keyboard shortcuts, in my case left shift plus alt. The lettering follows a modern Greek system, which I'm infinitely more comfortable with than the uni/beta code numberings to:

u = θ, w = ς, v = ω, c = ψ, j =ξ χ = x κτλ.

I'm sure mac has something similar. I've no idea what my partner, a Mac User, does. I'll ask her. An acquaintance of mine, also a mac user, can actually type with the full range of diacritics and can romanise Sanskrit etc so I'll ask him too since he must be the master.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Best for Fonts & Unicode: Windows or Mac?

Post by Osterdeich »

τι κάνετε;

I am not sure I am addressing the exact question here, but on a MacBook Pro, running OS 10.6.8, I went into System Preferences and created a shortcut so that I could switch between the English keyboard and the Greek Polytonic keyboard.

I'm primarily concerned with modern Greek right now, so when I talk to my tutor on Skype all I have to do to switch between English and Greek is toggle by holding command and pressing space.

It's great!