Book list (the last of this, or indeed any, kind)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Book list (the last of this, or indeed any, kind)

Post by whiteoctave »

Evening all,

Rather than continue my seemingly insatiable seasonal posts of my Classical library on here, I thought I may circumnavigate the typical binds of courtesy and state that all the information in that particular department is now recorded at the blandly designed http://phileleutherus.fortunecity.co.uk/Booklist1.html, which will be updated regularly.
Now that I'm immersed in graduate research, and what with E. and B. off to University, I will not be finding time to post here, as I have not done for a while. Nonetheless, the stalwart Annis, and the very capable hands of Bellumpaxque, I. and S. will surely do all that needs to be done. All I can say is that precision is the key.
All best,

~D

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Sorry to hear you are no longer able to post here, but it is certainly in a good cause - maybe we will be adding some of your publications to our book lists in the near future!
Thanks for the list as it gives me some idea of available research material, also a good idea to keep the list somewhere where it can be accessed away from your home computer (an idea which I might steal :) )

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

tempore ad Catulli uerba imitanda idoneo, "aue," inquam "care whiteoctaue, atque uale."

I'm honored at your confidence and saddened by your departure.

With great expectations, high hopes, and warm wishes,

David

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Cambridge?

Ever come across a lecturer in Linguistics there called Bert Vaux? If you do, please, pass on my regards.

Seán
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

is Bert Vaux there? i never associated him with cambridge...i don't know him at all but his name sounds familiar...i may have come across him, something this summer to do with armenian language but i could be mistaken...

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Salve, episcope!

Bert should be in Cambridge by now. Summer before last I spent a very pleasant few hours in his company as he is the friend of a friend who was lecturing in Irish in Milwaukee at the time. Bert was professor of linguistics there but I heard he had accepted a post at Cambridge earlier this year. It sounds like you have indeed come across him since when I met him he was encouraging me to begin Armenian studies for various good reasons and the walls of his office were plastered with Armenian whatsits. Regrettably I have not taken up his kind offer of support. The heart is willing, but the time is short.

Excuse me, as I run off for a couple of days to collect some American canons regular who are coming to my church in Ireland to sing a Latin Mass. O Gaudium Beatum Nostrum!!!

Seán
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

hmm i think i might have to avoid him then, though my name might give me away...i'm quite good at hide and seek though, plus i completed metal gear solid 1-3...even if i usually just shoot all the guys in the face - sumerian irish chinese japanese polish latin armenian (plus 500 dialects thereof) hungarian amongst many others, along with standard french german spanish - what is this man taking? he will indeed be at cambridge this year, perhaps why this place has such a good reputation, since there are so many brilliant academic minds there who teach. it's not the same for students though... i suppose whiteoctave probably gives all those at textkit a rather unfair impression of how standards in language really are at cambridge.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

by the way whiteoctave won't post anymore because he is a major player-hater