Podcasts

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kopio
Global Moderator

Podcasts

Post by Kopio »

So.....I'm a hip iPod slinging guy now!! I really enjoy podcasts. I am able to listen to all of my favorite radio talk shows that I can't always listen to cuz I'm driving at the wrong time of day, and I love the video podcasts.

What I want to know is...do you guys have a favorite podcast that I should subscribe to?? I really like Strong Bad E-mails, Ask a Ninja, and there's a few theological podcasts I like too. So....what are your favorites??

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

For the most part, I move back and forth among various podcasts. Many people run out of energy after a few months and the podcast ends.

The one podcast I listen to religiously is In Our Time from the BBC. I'd recommend looking through the archives, too.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

You may probably, already well know this, but YLE Finland now offers Nuntii Latini as a podcast. I do know what annis is talking about though: a lot of good podcasts peter out after a few weeks or months, so I move back and forth between good ones as well. I tend to sit down at the computer from time to time, listen to a minute or two of some random ones, and then download whatever sounds interesting. Otherwise, I don't listen to any regularly.

Chris
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

This may not be your cup of tea, but there's a great money guy who has a daily radio show and puts one hour on his website as a podcast for free. He gives very good, conservative financial advice (get out of debt, etc):

http://daveramsey.com/radio/home/

He also likes to throw in some of his Christian philosophy, too.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Post by easternugget »

Haha, Ask A Ninja is great stuff. What Theological Podcasts do you listen to? (I havne't really explored the Podcast world, but am curious to what might be considered good)

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I am also a Podcast fan - no more boring bus rides!
My favourites are some of the classical music ones - Naxos music & NACO are both good with plenty of reviews and discussion about music. The Archaeology channel puts out one which often has items of interest to us "ancient history" fans. I also like the New Scientist podcast and the ABC radio's "Star Stuff".
What is the BBC's "In Our Time" podcast about? As William A recommends it, it is probably very good! As for the financial ones - I get enough of that all day at work, thank you!
Are there any others of interest to geeks like us? :D

(Later edit - just looked up "In Our Time" - MUST HAVE!!! I have now subscribed. Thanks William)

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

edonnelly wrote:This may not be your cup of tea, but there's a great money guy who has a daily radio show and puts one hour on his website as a podcast for free.
He's awesome. I listen to his podcasts whenever I can. Everyone who feels powerless when it comes to money should read Total Money Makeover.

WB

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

William wrote:
edonnelly wrote:This may not be your cup of tea, but there's a great money guy who has a daily radio show and puts one hour on his website as a podcast for free.
He's awesome. I listen to his podcasts whenever I can. Everyone who feels powerless when it comes to money should read Total Money Makeover.

WB
Maybe I should get some of my clients to listen to this! I am still trying to get that most simple financial rule into their heads: spending twice as much as your business makes = going broke!

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

William wrote:

WB
Actually, I would suggest, if it's straight financial advice that you want, that you take a listen to The Motley Fool's weekly podcast. They give very sound advice without the awkward blending of Jesus, finances, and neo-Con politics that Ramsey spouts. Of course, if you're the "Rick Santorum for Senate" type, then by all means, Ramsey is for you. :D

Chris

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Actually, I would suggest, if it's straight financial advice that you want, that you take a listen to The Motley Fool's weekly podcast. They give very sound advice without the awkward blending of Jesus, finances, and neo-Con politics that Ramsey spouts. Of course, if you're the "Rick Santorum for Senate" type, then by all means, Ramsey is for you.
That's funny...I'm fairly liberal and Ramsey never offends me. He does talk about God but I don't think he's proselytizing. Interesting...

Thanks for the Motley Fool tip!

WB

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

easternugget wrote:Haha, Ask A Ninja is great stuff. What Theological Podcasts do you listen to? (I havne't really explored the Podcast world, but am curious to what might be considered good)
Well, really they aren't theological per se....but they are a couple of Christian talk show that I like. One is Key Life with Steve Brown, the other is Chuck Swindoll's Insight for Living. Swindoll is a meat and potatoes DTS guy, Steve Brown is my favorite antinomian, who happens to teach out of Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando, FL. His questions and answers have always been my favorite, because he really shoots off the cuff.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

William wrote:
That's funny...I'm fairly liberal and Ramsey never offends me. He does talk about God but I don't think he's proselytizing. Interesting...

Thanks for the Motley Fool tip!

WB
I hope I didn't offend you or anyone with my own comment about him...I realize looking back at it that it reads more harshly than I intended. I didn't mean to condemn him or his advice outright on account of his beliefs...he's just not my personal cup of tea. :)

As for theological podcasts, wouldn't it be a swell idea if someone could interest Benedict XVI in catching up to modern technology? Modeled along the lines of Roosevelt's "fire-side chats," we could have "papal-casting"... weekly programming straight from St. Peter's (in Latin of course!). 8)

Chris

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

cdm2003 wrote:I hope I didn't offend you or anyone with my own comment about him...I realize looking back at it that it reads more harshly than I intended. I didn't mean to condemn him or his advice outright on account of his beliefs...he's just not my personal cup of tea. :)
Hey Chris...no worries! It's all good. I'll report back to you after I've heard some Motley Fool.

Cheers!
WB

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

cdm2003 wrote: "papal-casting"...
I'm not sure if it was intentional but this appears a bit irreverent in a funny sort of way. Like "Papa-poo."

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Bert wrote:
cdm2003 wrote: "papal-casting"...
I'm not sure if it was intentional but this appears a bit irreverent in a funny sort of way. Like "Papa-poo."
Not irreverent...just aliterative. :D

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Podcasts

Post by annis »

Kopio wrote:Ask a Ninja,
Um... huh.

Last week I was at a friend's birthday party, and someone there was complaining about Talk Like a Pirate Day. He felt that at the opposite end of the year there should be a Talk Like a Ninja day, where all you can say is "..." and "an occasional '*snick*'"

This ninja doesn't follow that school.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Post by Kynetus Valesius »

Some of my favorite podcasts are :

1. For Learning English (ESL) if you are at least already an "advanced beginner" - there is a very small fee for the printable study guides but the podcasts themselves are free. This site was created by a retired professor of linguistics and is truly professionally designed.

www.eslpod.com

2. For learning French from the fundaments on up. There is an audio portion (podcast) and written study guide for each lesson. This is produced by professional language texbook producers from the UK. It is still free

http://www.learnfrenchbypodcast.com/

3. For people who already know French but would like educate their ears. A transcript is always available but only for the most recent podcast.

http://www.frenchpodcasting.com/

4. For people who already know quite a bit of Spanish but need more listening practice, you can't beat this site :

http://www.miunicast.com/

5. BBC also produces some excellent podcasts for learners of several languages including English, French and Spanish. Just do a google like this for example "learn french bbc".

Now if only some smart latin teachers would start podcasting Latin lessons, wouldn't it be great? Sounds like a project for the Classics League!