New Facebook Group: Nerdy Classics Majors

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Talmid
Textkit Member

New Facebook Group: Nerdy Classics Majors

Post by Talmid »

Salvete omnes. It's high time to have a Facebook community for Classics. Thus I've created the new group Nerdy Classics Majors. Please check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1188003901262141/

Victor
Textkit Fan

Re: New Facebook Group: Nerdy Classics Majors

Post by Victor »

Talmid wrote:Salvete omnes. It's high time to have a Facebook community for Classics. Thus I've created the new group Nerdy Classics Majors. Please check it out.
With a name like that I think your group may be destined to attract a very small membership; even nerds don't really want to hang out with nerds.

On a minor note, the only majors we have in my part of the world are army personnel.

ETA: I can't actually access the page anyway.

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swtwentyman »

Victor wrote:...even nerds don't really want to hang out with nerds.
What's this website, then? ;)

As for me, I'll have to decline. I'm very loath to mix real life with the internet (sorry, but I don't want to meet up with, call, or text anyone from any forums) and Textkit obviates the need anyway, with its many experienced classics enthusiasts rather than 20-year-old nerdy undergrads.

(e-mail correspondence is a totally different matter)

Manuel
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Manuel »

Victor wrote:
Talmid wrote:Salvete omnes. It's high time to have a Facebook community for Classics. Thus I've created the new group Nerdy Classics Majors. Please check it out.
With a name like that I think your group may be destined to attract a very small membership; even nerds don't really want to hang out with nerds.

On a minor note, the only majors we have in my part of the world are army personnel.

ETA: I can't actually access the page anyway.
It's ironic, I'm assuming.

Talmid
Textkit Member

Post by Talmid »

All, it's an endearing name like "Computer Geek," which IT guys cling to affectionately. It's also a knockoff of two other robust FB groups with similar names: Nerdy Language Majors (almost 2,000 members) and Nerdy Theology Majors (700+ members).

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

Talmid wrote:All, it's an endearing name like "Computer Geek," which IT guys cling to affectionately.
It looks like the meaning of "nerd" may have evolved considerably since I was young. Several decades ago the word was unambiguously derogatory; now it seems to be most often used as badge of honour.

I'm unable to find it endearing, personally.

Talmid
Textkit Member

Post by Talmid »

It looks like the meaning of "nerd" may have evolved considerably since I was young. Several decades ago the word was unambiguously derogatory; now it seems to be most often used as badge of honour.
Victor, it certainly has evolved. I think people started grasping the term affectionally to make it less offensive. Now it's a badge of honor, and this is evident by 2,000 members now part of Nerdy Language Majors on Facebook who have a very robust community. You should check it out at the very least.

Here's Nerdy Language Majors: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NerdyLanguageMajors/

And again Nerdy Classics Majors: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1188003901262141/