Back in Textkit

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Back in Textkit

Post by Carola »

I seem to have been away from the group for so long - various family problems and a host of other distractions. I still have to get some more done on the revision of the D'Ooge key - with any luck I might get back onto this soon, a lot has been done but I want to add in the exercise questions as well as the answers, also any notes etc.
These setbacks and problems seem to trip us up every now and then, I guess all you can do is be patient until everything sorts itself out. I even got to look at my poor drought stricken garden the other day - oh dear!
Anyhow, good to be back.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Good to have you back. I was wondering where my fellow Miles fan had been. :)

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Kopio wrote:Good to have you back. I was wondering where my fellow Miles fan had been. :)
Yes, I must say that when I am having one of life's rough patches I seem to spend a lot of time plugged into my MP3 player or playing music at rather strange hours. I am always so glad to have things like music and my Greek & Latin studies, they really do give you an escape from that nasty "real world". (And I thoroughly recommend any Greek textbook for bedtime reading if you are stressed out - you'll be asleep in 2 minutes!)

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Carola wrote: (And I thoroughly recommend any Greek textbook for bedtime reading if you are stressed out - you'll be asleep in 2 minutes!)
I prefer systematic theologies...just two minutes and I can't keep my eyes open!

BTW...Kind of Blue is my favorite when things are crazy...it soothes me and mellows me out.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Systematic theology makes me sleepy just thinking about it!

Sometimes when I'm stressed I prefer somthing like Don Ellis' "Turkish Bath" (for slightly de-tuned soprano saxes, in case you have never heard it). It is loud, raucous and no-one can dance to it (in 7/8 time). Sort of the jazz equivalent of a rude sign, but lots of fun.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Carola wrote:Sometimes when I'm stressed I prefer somthing like Don Ellis' "Turkish Bath" (for slightly de-tuned soprano saxes, in case you have never heard it). It is loud, raucous and no-one can dance to it (in 7/8 time). Sort of the jazz equivalent of a rude sign, but lots of fun.
Never heard of it, although I'm in the process of checking it out on iTunes. I do like (on occaision) Steve Lacy, who was very very very influenced by Thelonius Monk. It is awkward, squeeky, honky, soprano sax that nonetheless is very melodic if not clumsy. When I'm really feeling out there I listed to my Phil Woods Live in Berlin, his quartet was playing at a Free Jazz Festival in Berlin, and it is out there and all at about metronome 320...it's like Bird on acid...not for the mild at heart!

Lately though, I've been listening to much more tame stuff. The Fray, John Mayer, and of course Jamiroquai (who if you haven't given a good listen to yet you really ought to, check him out here go to music (on the right) and then scroll down to Space Cowboy and Watch the Video. The bass player is absolutely smoking (he's playing a sick bass that costs more than my car) and Jay Kay is at his absolute best. If you like jazz, you will really like his early stuff (he had lots of horns and a tight rhythm section) and the grooves are all retro-fusion/disco. I'm a junkie, I'll kick it for a while, but it always ends up on my iPod after too long. Lemme know if you're intrested and I might even be able to send you a little something via e-mail (assuming you are on broadband, otherwise it would be a while on your end)...anyhow...time to go read systematic theology for me.
:?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...if you like time charts...check out Jean Luc Ponty. The guy is a freak of a violinist, and he writes some crazy time charts, sometimes it's hard to find a downbeat!

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...if you like time charts...check out Jean Luc Ponty. The guy is a freak of a violinist, and he writes some crazy time charts, sometimes it's hard to find a downbeat!
Yes, I was lucky enough to see him live some years ago - he was just sooo good! Don Ellis was also a master of the strange time signatures, they all seemed to go through a phase of writing things in 17/4 or whatever. It's actually not so hard to play, you just keep counting!
I would love to hear some of your music, I have pm'd my broadband email address. If you would like to hear a Don Ellis I'll send that to you.