ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ July 14–20, 2019 at the University of Kentucky, Lexington

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
bedwere
Global Moderator

ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ July 14–20, 2019 at the University of Kentucky, Lexington

Post by bedwere »

ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ
July 14–20, 2019
at the University of Kentucky, Lexington

Anyone with at least intermediate knowledge of ancient Greek and an interest in developing active competence in the language is invited to the second annual σύνοδος ἑλληνική adjacent to the campus of the University of Kentucky, modeled on the well-known Latin conventicula which Professor Terence Tunberg has organized since 1996. The σύνοδος is organized by Humanitas in cooperation with the Polis Institute, Jerusalem. For one week, we will use ancient Greek as an active language of communication to talk about everyday objects and events and to discuss selections from a wide variety of ancient Greek texts. This sort of immersion experience will benefit a variety of ancient Greek users: students who wish to read ancient Greek more quickly and without automatically producing an English translation; teachers who wish to introduce oral and/or aural ancient Greek into their classrooms; and anyone who wishes to encounter ancient Greek in a way that might be different from his or her previous experiences. Those with prior experience – either minimal or extensive – speaking ancient Greek are most welcome, as are those who have never spoken ancient Greek at all. During the week of the σύνοδος, we ask that participants use only Greek to communicate with each other and with the facilitators.

Please note, however, that the σύνοδος is not designed for people still learning the elements of Greek grammar. Anyone unsure about whether the σύνοδος is a good fit for his or her background should feel free to apply and allow the organizers to judge based on the application.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ July 14–20, 2019 at the University of Kentucky, Lexington

Post by bedwere »

Bump! I am going. Anyone else?

ariphron
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ariphron »

I applied too late. I'm on the wait list.

ariphron
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ariphron »

I'm going. See you there!

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Hey, if list members could report on their experience there, the highs and lows (if any), how they felt it helped their Greek and so forth, I think it would really be of interest to those of us stuck doing other things this summer.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

We are divided into two levels based on experience. Ariphron and I are among the more experienced. This morning Christophe Rico called one of us and ordered him to imagine to drive a car . The teacher gave commands (enter the car, fasten your seat belt, start the car....) and asked the student what he did. Then we did the same among us. Then, with Stephen Hill, we read and discussed the story of Hercules and the Nemean Lion. After that, Rico began the reading of the Island of the Blessed from Lucian's True Story. In the afternoon Stephen made us read warning signs found in ancient temples. Finally, Christophe read us (and made us act) a hilarious variation of the fable of Red Riding Hood, asking us questions all the way. Tomorrow morning we're going to visit the Arboretum. We were supposed to go on Wednesday, but Barry (the storm :wink: ) is bringing rain that day.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Οἱ μετέχοντες τῆς τρίτης Ἑλληνικῆς Συνόδου.

Σήμερον πρωῒ ἐπεσκεψάμεθα κῆπον δενδρόφυτόν τινα. Ἐπαίσαμεν δὲ παριπατοῦντες. Ὁ μὲν γὰρ διδάσκαλος ἢ μαθητής τις μῦθον ἑξηγεῖτο. Οἱ δ' ἄλλοι ἀκούσαντες λέξιν διωρισμένην τινὰ ἀπεκρύπτοντο ἵνα μὴ ὁ ἐξηγητὴς ἴδοι αὐτούς. Ὁ οὖν ἔσχατος ὁ μὴ ἑωραμένος ἐνίκα. Ἐκεῖ δὲ ἐποιησάμεθα τάδε τὰ φωτογραφήματα.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

θαυμαστόν τί μοι εἶναι δοκεῖ. νομίζεις ὅτι σοι ὠφέλιμον πολλὰ μανθάνοντι γέγονε;
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm θαυμαστόν τί μοι εἶναι δοκεῖ. νομίζεις ὅτι σοι ὠφέλιμον πολλὰ μανθάνοντι γέγονε;
Πάνυ γε, ὥσπερ πήγη τῷ διψῶντι.

ariphron
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ariphron »

It was an amazing experience. But it was Intense. Midway through, I dropped down from the advanced to the beginner's group. I don't know if I was in over my head, exactly, but certainly up to my neck at least. In the beginner's group I was able to catch my breath and take the time to try to formulate my thoughts in Greek. The readings in the advanced group focused on Lucian and the Homeric Hymn to Dionysus; the beginners' group read the Septuagint Book of Ruth and some Apollodorus retellings of myths, including the same story of Dionysus and the pirates. In addition there was a very interesting sheet of temple inscriptions. I was present for this session in both its advanced and beginners' form. The advanced class broke into small groups and was asked to work together to form some inferences about what the Ancient Greeks considered sacred and profane, ritually clean and unclean, or some such opposition. The beginners' class simply sat around and asked questions as the instructor explained the basic meanings of the inscriptions.

The highlights of the week, for me, were, first, the reading of the Book of Ruth, which for some reason I had never read before. It is a phenomenally moving story, the predicament into which Fate eternally places women, presented at Biblical scale. I was in tears reading from it.

Second, the dinner after the conclusion, when we were finally permitted to speak English and get to know the classmates we had been spending the week with. We gathered at a Greek restaurant, took a private dining room upstairs, and sat twelve to dinner around one large table. The conversation was wide ranging and unforgettable.