Intro - Joel Ellis

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
JMEllis
Textkit Neophyte

Intro - Joel Ellis

Post by JMEllis »

My name is Joel Ellis. I am a minister serving a congregation of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Arizona. Although I studied Greek and Hebrew in seminary, I am largely self-taught (for better or worse). I have had a lifelong interest in languages and have studied quite a few, but I am (regrettably) more of a dabbler than a consistently disciplined and successful devotee. However, Greek, in particular, and Latin and Hebrew, to a lesser extent, are languages to which I am committed by profession, passion, and principle. I hope in 2019 to continue improving my daily discipline in each of these languages, expanding my vocabulary, and increasing my reading (and speaking) fluency.

I subscribe broadly to the Input Hypothesis of Second Language Acquisition and believe that high volume listening and reading and "living language" approaches to the study of Greek and Latin are more effective, in the long run, in promoting fluency in reading, understanding, and speech.

I intend to be far more of a lurker than a poster. I finally decided to register in order to be able to ask questions and, hopefully, to check the forum more regularly for motivation.

Joel
Joel M. Ellis, Jr.
Credo ut intelligam
Festina lente

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Intro - Joel Ellis

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit, Joel!

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Welcome! Is your interest entirely in Jewish and Christian literature, or are you interested in Greek and Latin more broadly?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Hey Joel,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know how advanced you are in Greek, but judging from your interests you might want to take a look at this book, plus the supplement freely available online.

Best!

JMEllis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JMEllis »

jeidsath wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 pm Welcome! Is your interest entirely in Jewish and Christian literature, or are you interested in Greek and Latin more broadly?
Definitely the latter. My life would probably be simpler if my interests were more narrow. :-)
Joel M. Ellis, Jr.
Credo ut intelligam
Festina lente

JMEllis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JMEllis »

anphph wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:56 pm Hey Joel,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know how advanced you are in Greek, but judging from your interests you might want to take a look at this book, plus the supplement freely available online.
Thanks for the recommendation! I will add it to my wish list. I have Whitacre's Patristic Reader and Decker's Koine Reader, but I have not used either resource very much. I spend almost all of my time listening, reading, and working directly in the biblical text and in the Apostolic Fathers, but perhaps I should avail myself of these kinds of intermediate resources.
Joel M. Ellis, Jr.
Credo ut intelligam
Festina lente