Λουκάς Introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Λουκάς Introduction

Post by Lukas »

Greetings!
I am a middle age adult from the Western United States who has been wanting to learn Greek for the past few years. I finally have the opportunity to learn Greek and hope to stick with it. I have been wanting to read some works by Plato, Aristotle, and some comedies and tragedies. I also have been wanting to read some Hellenistic Greek, such as the Septuagint and New Testament. Along with that, I was hoping to read a bit of the Iliad and Odyssey. I know that each is a different type of Greek, so I took a stab and thought it best to learn Attic Greek and go from there after a few years. I am using Introduction to Attic Greek / Dr. Donald Mastronarde. There are a lot of rules in the book, so I am very glad to have stumbled upon the Textkit Greek forum. Sometimes I misinterpret the rules, and posters have already set me straight with my mistakes. In my town, Attic Greek is only taught at one private university, and I do not know if the university would allow a part-time older student or not; therefore, I am really appreciating the help I am receiving from Texkit Greek posters.

Λουκάς
Λουκᾶς

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Λουκάς Introduction

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome, Lukas. It's never too late! Attic is your best bet to meet your goals. Did you ask the college about it?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:35 am Welcome, Lukas. It's never too late! Attic is your best bet to meet your goals. Did you ask the college about it?
A couple years ago I went as far as emailing the instructor and asking if it is offered in the evening or if the instructor knows anyone who teaches it in the evening. The answers were "No" and "No." I got the impression that the instructor did not want to teach it outside of the normal class setting. /shrug.

Λουκᾶς
Λουκᾶς

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Maybe you already know this site based on Mastronarde, but just in case:

http://atticgreek.org/

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

Yes. I have been to the website.

I go back there at times and work on accents and pronunciation.

Ευχαριστώ
Λουκᾶς