Papyrology mystery

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Papyrology mystery

Post by jeidsath »

I recently received a copy of Eric G. Turner's lectures "The Papyrologist at Work" from a bookseller in Amsterdam. I found these notes on the back of the book, which normally I would let pass, but that I would post about due to the subject matter of the book it is attached to.

I can't make out much, but it seems to be a Netherlander's record of an Italian vacation? Presumably in February 1981 or 1987 (February 1976 matches on days of the week, but the leap year rules it out.)

“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Re: Papyrology mystery

Post by Constantinus Philo »

So what? I don't get anything
Semper Fidelis

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Do you mean that you don't see the posted image, or that you don't understand the point?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bart »

I think you hit the jackpot, Joel! This seems to be a priceless artifact recording the travels of a Batavian clansman to the south in the latter part of the 20th century. Apperently he swam a lot (typical Batavian behaviour), played next to a waterfall (this is open to interpretation) and visited some kind of holy shrine (the 'Dom') in a place called Firenze (Etruscan?). Oh, and he called his mother once.
Lucky you!

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

But we haven't touched on the deepest mystery -- all of the swimming is underlined in different ink, but the same hand. Presumably this was a collation step on its way to another swimming-centric document, one which remains yet to be discovered.

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Post by Constantinus Philo »

I don't get the point of all this sorry
Semper Fidelis

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

Those know don't say, those who say don't know.
Just sayin.
The paper (possible palimpsest??) is swimming with clues.
Romani ite Domum