Introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Chris Allen
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction

Post by Chris Allen »

Hi, I'm planning on self-studying Ancient Greek with the Reading Greek books over the summer and this forum looks like it could help a lot with that. I know a very small amount of German but probably not enough to be helpful in learning Ancient Greek. Effectively, Ancient Greek will be the first language I learn.

My goal is to read Aeschylus and Heraclitus. And then everything else on Perseus Tufts.

I'd also like to start learning Sanskrit in a year or two.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Introduction

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Re: Introduction

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

Chris Allen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:36 pm I'd also like to start learning Sanskrit in a year or two.
By way of your forward plannning. The American Sanskrit Institute textbook is quite accessible to ordinary people, and presented in a way that is suitable for individual use.

Their study at home option might serve your needs as a self-learner. I see that their textbook is now entitled Sanskrit by CD (as opposed to "by Cassette" that accompanied the 1992 edition). The American Sanskit institute textbook is a pathway to reading the classical literature of India. Their ethos is to use the Devanāgarī script exclusively. That is not the only way that textbooks present the language.

When I first studied Sanskrit many years ago in a classroom setting, the textbook that we used, was a typeset (as opposed to word processed) book from India, which presented the language in the Devanāgarī script followed by a transliteration into the Latin script. If you are studying Sanskrit just for philological interest, there are books that only use the transliteration. If you are intending to actually read literature, learning the alphabet is a must.

Very patient instruction in the alphabet by a teacher from the American Sanskrit Institute is available on Youtube.
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;