Reading 1st century writings on Christianity

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
halibot
Textkit Neophyte

Reading 1st century writings on Christianity

Post by halibot »

Hello! Recently I read all the extrabiblical writings that scholars think might be composed in the first century AD concerning Christianity. In the course of reading them, some questions came up for me about the meaning of Greek and Latin terms that weren't cleared up by checking different translations. In particular, the terms are in Josephus' writings and in the Hellenistic Synagogal Prayers, which are part of the Apostolic Constitutions. The ancient writings have usually been preserved in Greek and Latin as their earliest surviving languages of transmission, which makes knowing those languages particularly helpful in understanding them. I also learned about Thallus' Histories, and read Seneca's On Anger, a Chapter of Pliny the Elder's Natural History, and the "Christian Sybillines" - Christian poetry in the genre of the Sibylline oracles. So I would like to ask some historical or text questions about those Greek and Latin writings as well.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Reading 1st century writings on Christianity

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

halibot
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Reading 1st century writings on Christianity

Post by halibot »

Thanks, Bedwere.

I made two threads about this so far:
HELLENISTIC SYNAGOGAL PRAYERS (100 - 380 AD) Question on "Positive Law"
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69240

JOSEPHUS' ANTIQUITIES (Books I-XVI) 4 Questions
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69241
JOSEPHUS' ANTIQUITIES (Books XVI-XX) 4 Questions
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69246

If you have some Russian language or Orthodoxy questions, I could help with that too.