Too late to become a classicist?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mylmyl
Textkit Neophyte

Too late to become a classicist?

Post by mylmyl »

Hi everyone, and good evening.
I'm Myl and I'm a PhD in Asian and African studies and Intercultural studies and translatology.
When I had to choose my major, I was talked into study Chinese by my parents as they thought it was "useful" , while my passion was actually Latin and, to a lesser extent, Greek.
I managed to change the course of my study when I did my masters in Comparative Literature and then my PhD thesis, where I hypothesised a connection between a Tang version of Cinderella-like story and Rhodopis's tale found in Herodotus and Strabo.
Now I've "completed" my studies, I don't work in the Academic work ( I teach English abroad) but I REALLY miss the challenge of Academy, but I'm taking a break..I'm interested in international travelling stories and in fairy tales in the ancient world , and I really wanna go back to my Latin and Greek that I've never really abandoned but severely neglected. I know Latin and Greek grammar pretty well (let's say at an Upper Intermediate level ) but I lack loads of vocabulary...and I feel it's too late for me to become a decent classicist (I'm over 35).In this amazing website I found two books that caught my eye , and I would ask you great people for some advice. Homeric Greek by Clyde Pharry and Latin an Intensive Course .What do you suggest , guys? Thanks for your help and sorry for the lng message!
Myl

smitterle
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Too late to become a classicist?

Post by smitterle »

Just do it and see for yourself how much you enjoy it. Life changes every day and what you think you want to do today might not be the same you'll want tomorrow, or what you desire today might not be what a while ago you thought you should do.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

35 years old? That's young, from the perspective of those who have more years behind than ahead. If you are at an "upper intermediate level" with both Greek and Latin, your best bet is to start reading authors, as much in both languages as you have time for. Getting a good command of the primary literature, as you know from your previous work, is the sine qua non of a classicist.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Andriko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andriko »

If you want to be a classicist when you grow up, then go for it. Don't let the trifle of being in your mid 30s get in the way.

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal »

I agree with the comments: you still being young,
Greeks -as I understand- consider that the age most beautiful the ἀρχή happens at the age of 40's because its the age of maduration and so on, I'm not completely sure of this reference -just heardth so many times in the faculty of philosophy where I study- but I still thinking there's some truth in this, Plato wrote -as I understand- most of their plays over this age. Never is too late to hear the mermaids songs, is not too late to do what you desired.

Regards
M.

Andriko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andriko »

To join in with Sohtnirybal, there are many things which do not make sense until later in life, especially in the classics. For example, it is easier to understand Nostos when we are older and find ourselves so far from home.

mylmyl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mylmyl »

Thank you, beautiful people. You have really made my day, and I definitely feel more motivated now.I'll keep you updated!